Help Please - CMRC delete or ???

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
Ok, I am usually over in 4.6 since my car's a 2000, but my husband has an 06 GT 5-speed, and for Christmas/birthdays I like to buy him parts. :D
Anyway, I don't know much about the S197's, so for Christmas I came to this board for a little research and ended up getting him a JLT CAI and SCT xcal2 with a Brenspeed tune (and thank you for all who posted in the threads I pulled up on that). So now it's birthday time and I am wondering what's next... in addition to the above he has an SLP axle-back exhaust. I remembered reading people seeing decent gains from a CMRC delete... wondering if this is what I should get him or is there another recommendation?? (I'd like to keep the cost under $200.)
The car is his DD and he drives pretty far to work, and so is concerned with gas mileage...
Any help is appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

A set of Steeda pullies for $200 would be nice..... good power gains, and slightly better mileage.

The CMRC delete plates are good and the Ford version can be purchased for $100 or less, but will require a revised tune. Brenspeed can email the revised tune to be downloaded onto the SCT X2, then into the car, but it will probably cost you around $75 or so for the tune itself unless you can sweet-talk Brent.......

Other items around that price range would be Steeda lower control arms- if your hubby ever spins the tires for fun, these will (mostly) eliminate the bad wheel hop. There is also offroad H or X pipes, but with the SLP's this will make the car VERY LOUD and I personally wouldn't do it. Or you could pick him up a nice short throw shifter- I'm partial to the Pro5.0 shifter but it sells for about $250. You can probably find a Hurst shifter for under $200 easy..........

Other than that, there are interior mods (non-performance) if he's into that kinda stuff.

Good luck-

Tom

Man, I wish I had a wife like that...The delete plates from Ford Racing are only $100 or so and then maybe an hour of labor if that. Upload the required new tune and you are set to go. The pulleys would be another good option. Around $200 plus an hour or so of labor.

Ok thank you, and as for the install? Easy or hard? Neither of us is a mechanic, but he did all the installs on his car, and I did all of my own except the sfc's, exhaust, and gears. Is this something we might be able to do out in the driveway, or is it probly gonna have to hit the shop???

Thanks!

:p

Personally I would go with the UDPs as well.

You will get more out of them than the delete plates. Not only do they get you more power at the wheels, the engine builds rpms faster.

But to answer your question the delete plates are easy to install. Even with no experience I think you two could get the job done in under two hours.

It has been debated, but I've run them on many cars with no ill effects. If you sat at idle for a very, very long time you could drain your battery, but Ford has designed the car with a safety margin built in. Manufacturers like Steeda and Roush install pulleys and they are sold with the normal Ford warranty by dealers.

Ok, thank you all for the help, I think I will go with the pulley's for the birthday and the charge motion delete for father's day. Will he need a re-tune for the pulley's?

And thank you again for the help.. I appreciate it...

I was going to get the delete plates as well, but I ended up just getting the UDP's from Brenspeed as well.

I noticed a nice gain with them, and I have had zero problems.