Help Please

05 mustang

Aug 19, 2016
Hey thanks for dropping in, I just bought a 2005 GT it has the 4.6 its a sweet car and has a strong motor. Paid 7k cash for it and its ot 152k miles. Im no fool i knew the car had something to fix i mean 7k dollars most of them are around 12 or more. The dealer ofc said nothing wron at all. Ok so first off replaced ac compressor and dryer so added a warranty there 2yr. But i only drove the car for about a week and it made this crazy shaking knocking missing noise in reverse, i immediately shut it off. Started it the next morning an everything was all fine. Then it did it again, at a red light. Scared me i shut it off again and this time CEL came on. Took it straight to autozone he scanne it said the cam position sensor was malfunctioning. Replaced it took batt cable off CEL went off drove it 20 minutes and it happened again. The sensor i replaced looked as if it were right out of the box. So this is where im at currently, havent replaced anything else but i have been researching and it sounded to me like the VCT solonoid. I unhooked both of them yesterday drove it home but i stopped at te store on the way and the motor done it again even with the vct's unhooked so i think that pretty much cleared the vct's bc they werent even plugged in. The car is making the noise at startup bad and after coming to a stop while its at normal tempeture. Ive read probably every mustang article about phasers that the web can offer but im not a mechanic by no means. I figure the vct is no prob to replace but timing chains phasers all that im not even gonna try. I messed up a car 8 years ago trying to fix timing. So im here to present my question to this crowd of intelligent mustang enthusiasts in hopes of some real clear solid advice on what to do from here. I have a video of the noise it makes but cannot seem to upload it for nothing wish i could email it to someone let them upload it for me. I was thinking one option is to replace timing chain, tensioner, guides, phasers, vct's and anything else the timing chain is involved with. But for that price im pretty sure its gonna be upwards of two grand amd i can just buy a used motor off ebay motors or somewhere else for under 3k so im stuck on what i should do. Please help and don hesitate to throw advice at me such as places to buy motors or parts stuff like that im open to suggestions. Thank you.
P.s. If theres anyone that wants to see the video of the noise its making i can email it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not familiar enough with that engine to be able to offer anything other than a conjecture. However, if you are worried about working on the cams, I suggest taking it to the dealer and replicate the issue. They should be able to figure out the root cause. You can ask for an estimate for the work before they start if you are seriously contemplating buying a replacement engine instead of fixing it. I'm interested in the solution if you get it fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I had no idea about the phasers till now, i hope this is a one time fix for atleast 100k but i also hear a low pitched roar while climbing speed and while foots off the accelerator i read somewhere it may be crank bearings getting ready to foul up. Also has a minor exhaust leak. Minor crap but makes me want a motor with less miles. Around 50k or 60k miles would be more than ok.