Help, problems programming key!

I recently purchased 2 new ford PATS keys 1 for my 2006 mustang and 1 for my wifes ford ranger. I purchased the keys off of ebay from a reputable seller. I had them cut and they both work to turn doorlocks and ignition. My problem is that they are not getting programmed when I follow the instructions in my owners manual. I do the following: insert origonal key turn to on (security light solid for 3 secs then off) then turn to off; then repeat with second origonal key; then insert newly cut key (when turned to on the security light just keeps flashing). I have tried this procedure with both the mustang and the 2004 ranger with no luck.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

so you have your two Orginal pre-programmed keys. your dead-sure you've followed the instructions or not switched the 2 orginals around when doing it...

off the bat, i would conclude the key's you bought are just dudes... IE.. all plastic!

Here's the instructions. I just recently did this for my '07 when I purchased a Fusion key and it worked perfectly. I put each key in, counted 1 1000 and pulled it out.

If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

key_fob.jpg

It works only on 2007+ models, but yes. The Fusion key will work. The benefit to me was that I have 3 Ford with the same key/keyfob combination, so this makes it really easy to tell which one is the '07. Then I have a Mustang cover for the '05, so then I know that the plain one is the Explorer.

I would follow the instructions as I wrote them one more time. Also, be fully certain that the first two keys you put in are originals. Otherwise, if all that fails, it sounds like the keys are either the wrong part number, or don't have PATS.

Thanks for the replies,

I used the 2 origonal keys first then the new and followed your instructions; still not working. Must be that these keys are just plain plastic and not PATS. I am waiting for reply from seller. In the meantime I will probably just go to ford dealer and buy a key.

thanks,
mike

I got it on eBay. The guy got wise and upped his price a bit but they're still not completely unreasonable. If you want to do it, you'd better get in. As soon as Ford realizes we're retrofitting these, they'll jack the price up.

That new key looks slick!

It seems as though the buttons are placed so that you don't, for example, unlock the trunk inadvertently while inserting or removing the key from the ignition. Any problems with activating the buttons when you don't mean to?

Thanks for any responses from those who have used this type key.

Here's the instructions. I just recently did this for my '07 when I purchased a Fusion key and it worked perfectly.
key_fob.jpg

OK, here is the deal on these keys.

I have an 06 Pony and the fob DOES NOT work!

I even took that key to the dealer to see if they could "flash" the chip for my 06 and they could NOT.

Now here is the kicker.
I have in my garage, a 2000 Taurus, an 05 Escape, and also my 06 stang.

This friggin fob works with the 2000 and the 05... but NOT with the 06.

I have even reprogramed my extra stang fob to the 2000......

Talk about AFU!

As far as the key itself, I havent had it cut. But I know from reading on other fourms that it IS the transponder that can be programed for most any ford.

So now my question for Darkfire is, Why the Fusion key??? Of all the keys like this that I have seen, ALL have the same FDD ID number So really ANY key that looks like this SHOULD work for most any ford....(cept the 05-06mustang) I say most any, as I have not been able to test it on other then the three mentioned above. I do have access to a fox body stang, as well as an 07 GT, but have not yet tried it.

Also what I want to know is,
HAS ANYONE GOTTEN THIS FOB TO WORK ON THE 05-06 MUSTANGS?
And how did you do it??

I am willing to sell this key for what I paid for it, plus $5 shipping.
Here is a link to the CLOSED auction so that you can see what I paid for it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...E:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&viewitem=&item=360039861094

Why the Fusion key? I'm not aware of any other Ford keys that are similar, and the Fusion key is known to work on 2007+.

There has not been 1 confirmed remote working on a 2005 or 2006. The key will work on any ford, but not the remote. If the remote works on your other cars, then the key would work also. But at the present time, there is no way to make it work with your '05-'06 Mustang.

I don't know what you mean exactly, are you asking like Ford Edge or a mercury or lincoln vehicle key? If so, no, I bought a "fusion" key - they could be all the same for all I know though (besides the logo).

I don't know what you mean exactly, are you asking like Ford Edge or a mercury or lincoln vehicle key? If so, no, I bought a "fusion" key - they could be all the same for all I know though (besides the logo).

Yes, Everyone says that they bought a "fusion" key, yet ANY Ford key will work. However, the auctions I have seen for this type of key break it down to make of vehicle... Thus I was asking if you had tried a key for another vehicle, say Mustang,,,, or escape,,, or whatever.