HELP: Rear caliper piston

Got all 4 rotors in yesterday, replacing them with new pads right now...

Since 10am (now 3pm) still on right rear, still trying to get the piston to back off and allow room for the new pads/rotor... it wont budge: i think the c clamp will end up broken before the piston does.

Am i missing something? :shrug:

Ps no the e brake isnt on

• Sponsors (?)

Sound like you have a frozen piston. I know this is wrong but I used a set of channel locks with a rag between them and the piston and it worked great for me, better than using the c clamp I had :shrug: If that doesnt do it than the caliper is shot. They are less than $100 at NAPA.

I've only tried to replace rear disc brakes one time in my life. I also couldn't get it to budge (Protege5). I gave up and just changed the front brakes and sold the car. Later I found out that there is some type of screw that must be loosened on the back of the caliper. Maybe all rear calipers are like that :shrug: I don't know but it might be worth checking into.

The rear brake caliper piston screws/twists in!!! You can not push it back in like the fronts. Go rent a tool from AZ for that.
54479.JPG

blackfang: yeah you got it right on the money

for some reason the rear caliper piston will only rotate in... i believe something to do with the parking brake doing self adjusting stuff :shrug: my haynes manual didnt help any if at all on the subj. either way i found three ways to do this only one way to do it right. first you can use a pair of needle nose pliers and move the piston around 1/4 turn per knuckle scratch and 4 letter word, you can use the $12 "universal" cube from napa that wont fit this app whatsoever, OR you can rent that tool, rear caliper compressor, from AZ. the tool saved me about 2 hours by needle nose pliers and saved the piston from certain scoring.

next time ill know!

Thanks for the info, i just used the channel locks on my friends Grand Cherokee and never tried a Stang before. Glad to know so when I do mine I do it right.