HELP!! s/c 347 stroker rebuild good or bad idea

wheels15

Jun 9, 2011
im new to the website and i have a 95 mustang gt vert. im thinking about rebuilding and making it a s/c 347 stroker. my car has the following mods already:

kenne bell supercharger 1.5L 8psi
heavy Duty Manual 5 speed w/short throw shifter
3.08 rear gears
Edelbrock performer aluminum heads w/ O-ring 1.9/1.6
ARP head bolts
fel-pro lock wire gasket
bored 30 over (306)
eagle rods
forged pistons
k&n air filter
Crane Hi-6 ignition system with timing retard and rev limiter
kenne bell switch chip 2 chips in one- street & track modes
E303 cam
80mm massair meter
70mm throttle body
30lbs injectors
155L fuel pump
full length headers
high-flow H-pipe w/cats
2.5"exhaust

The reason y i am planning on doing the rebuild is that i think i spun a bearing. not positive but i have been wanting to do a rebuild soon because the car has 112k miles. So i was just looking for some ideas on what i should do or if i should even go with the 347 stroker with the s/c. i would appreciate any help.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a small injector size for that combo. Maybe a bearing isn't the issue but rather detonation for lack of fuel. Pull a spark plug I bet they are snow white.

All of your combo will bolt right up to the 347 and should make great power. Not a fan of the Ford alphabet cams though. A custom cam that's more aggressive will be much needed in a 347.

my first thought is that on a 347, a 1.5L KB probably won't be able to keep up when the RPMs get up there.

so you might consider either a bigger KB, or a centrifugal supercharger, or a turbo ... if you want to stay boosted.

but a well matched 347 might be plenty fast enough for you without needing a supercharger.

if i were doing it, i'd build a low compression 331 or 347 with a custom cam that could be used for either NA or a blower, and see how it feels without a blower. Paul Riva (KillerCanary) did that (with a 331) and was impressed enough with his results that he never put the turbo on.

It's not a bad idea. The only problem with a 347 is that it is hard to keep the compression down on it. The stroke along with the deck height drives it up to almost 11:1 with a flat top piston. You are going to have to get some serious dish pistons to get the compression back down to 9:1. I think there are better options available for a 331. The added stroke will go along with the low end torque of the KB very nicely though.

Kurt

ok now that i have looked into it more i think im going to leave the supercharger off untill it breaks in and see if i even want it.But everything else i have should go nice with the 347 or should i go with the 331 instead??

ok i think i am going to go with the 347 but im going to get deep dish pistons to keep the compresion at 9:1 because i turbo or supercharge in the future. But i want to have my car sound real mean so what cam would be the best to put in for this project??

Not sure on the cam. That's something that really requires professional advice. It depends on how long before you want to do the forced induction setup. Nasty cams don't agree with forced induction.

Kurt