Help, spedo still broken

My spedometer in my 1991 gt bounces around, it smoothes out a little over 30 mph, but I just replaced the spedo cable and the drive gear and it's still doing the same thing. I looked at the driven gear and it seems fine too, anybody know what else it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced my cable, VSS, and had my speedo rebuilt by a vintage speedo and guage pro, and still have a bouncing cable. I’ve learned to live with it. I got tires of tearing apart my guage cluster. I was worried I was going to break either my cluster or dash components for how many times I had it out. My cable flows nice and smooth up from the trans, no sharp bends, and snaps easily into the back of the speedo. I think it’s the speedo head it self. If anyone has any suggestions on this I’m open to new ideas. I created a thread about this a while back as well Hudson.

I've fixed two of these so far and they are a royal pain. Both I've fixed were a combination of problems being the cable and gauge. If your cable is for sure running smooth then the only thing left is the gauge. (assuming you checked the gears) Best way to check is to pull the cable from the VSS and run a cordless drill on the cable counter clockwise and see how the needle looks. No shake at all you have a problem with speedo gear, VSS, or Transmission gear. Still shaking you have a problem with cable or gauge. Both ones I fixed run very smooth now with only the slightest movement in a 2-3 mph spot. Both had problems with the speedo it's self. On one the speedo cup was loose from the rod that runs through it making it not run parallel through the magnet. The other was the magnet shaft. It was a little loose from the housing and needed to be pressed back down to get up with the cup and needed cleaning and lubing.

Sorry I know this probably isn't written well but I only had a second to type this.

I am in the same exact boat as @BlakeusMaximus! My dash is broken at the top 2 spots where the cluster bezel attaches to the dash and I fabricated new brackets from ABS which are holding ok but every time I have to remove it I'm super worried something will break and I'll be back to a loose, rattly dash :(

I had my speedometer rebuilt by a guy named Randy at Southern Speedometer here in FL and he said it was an issue with the magnet inside. I can't recall exactly what he said was wrong but when I got it back it was smooth as silk but over the last year or so it's begun to bounce again. It's nowhere near as bad as it once was though so I'm in the "I'll just live with it" club too. When my foot's to the floor I'm too busy watching the road to care about the speedo anyway :p

They really are a pain. The magnets can loose a little magnetism and be off a little. Plus I'm not to happy with how the cable itself pushes against the back. I've also noticed but sometimes you can pull against the cable at the firewall and see it change. Usually means the Ferrell on the gauge is loose.

C2F162C4-3386-4CE4-8EC6-DC20C5D8ECED.jpeg

Pisses me off.