Help troubleshooting an electrical whining noise

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
I just finished full resto on my 70. Car has annoying whining noise that appears to be electrical related. Was not there when I first started running it but came on later last summer. You can hear it pulse with turn signals making me think it electrical related. Only when car is running. I check electric fuel pump, speakers, electric fan not coming from anyone of those areas. More pronounced inside car. Can't hear it on outside (maybe mufflers too loud). Lifted car and got under it while it running and still have not found it. Any suggestions for chasing it down. Last thing on my list (well almost last thing)

• Sponsors (?)

well........ i guess since its a noise there are a few ways to go about finding it... does it sound like its inside or outside the car first... second. does it vary (loud/quieter or slower faster) with ENGINE RPM's/does it only happen when its running?. are there any aftermarket accessories? normally look there first. if you do feel its coming from the interior you can isolate the circuit by removing ONE interior fuse at a time and see if it goes away. as soon as you hear it go away you can look at the circuit and find what components are on it and go from there. keep us posted

Looked at it again last nite. I think it is the fuel pump. Does not change with RPMs. In putting my ear on various parts of the car (glad know one was watching). The best I can tell is the noise is coming from pup and traveling down fuel line and was most pronouced where line is resting on bottom of pans. In checking the pump pressure gauge is was registering only about 3 pounds. When putting the pump in I did not use a relay - which I should of. I'm going to put a relay on it, clean filter and pump, check pressure and if not any better replace the pump. Even if that does not take care of the noise at least it will be done right.