Help W My Sn95 Build

Jw parts plus

Dec 29, 2015
Hi all, I must confess I am a GM guy who has always wanted a 5 speed 5.0....so I bought a 94 GT vert 5 speed to build with my son. Heres what the car has now (the way I bought it):
94 mustang gt 5 speed vert
Trick flow upper and lower
Cat delete
3 inch pipe all the way back
King cobra clutch
Everything else is stock

What I plan to do ( your input is appreciated)
Street only wont be at the track
Pro comp alum heads
E303 cam
Cold air intake
Bbk shorty headers unequal length
4:10 ring and pinion
Custom tune

My questions:
Step up throttle body? Size?
Injectors?
Rocker arms?
Mass air flow sensor?

My friends all wanna see me do an ls swap, that is not even an option. If I wanted an ls I would have bought one. I bought this as a fun project for my son and I and since its a Ford we will both be learning together. I am quite proficient as I am a mechanic by trade, but every good mechanic knows you can never be too good to learn something knew. So here we are asking for some help.
Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Ok.... Straight up:

Trick flow upper and lower - This is nice
Cat delete - 3 way cats FTW
3 inch pipe all the way back - This is too large. Do a little research on exhaust scavenging.
King cobra clutch - For this power level, it's a good choice
Everything else is stock

What I plan to do ( your input is appreciated)
Street only wont be at the track
Pro comp alum heads - Garbage. By the time you get the necessary work into them, you could have installed a better set out of the box
E303 cam - Also Garbage. It was fine in the day but there are much better cams
Cold air intake - Waste of time and money unless required by some other component (i.e. Blower/Turbo). Aesthetics is also a good reason. Keep your stock aribox on-hand though.

Bbk shorty headers unequal length - See previous comment about exhaust scavenging

4:10 ring and pinion - Great but why? Street only you said. 5- speed? 3:73 or 3:55

Custom tune - If you pick the cam correctly, this may not even be necessary. If you end up with larger injectors then it would be necessary for injectors larger than 24#. Below that, it should be within the EEC's ability to adapt. A good in-tank fuel pump and adjustable regulator can make up for minor short-comings in injector flow.

My questions:
Step up throttle body? Size? - 65mm would be fine for a 302 N/A combo. With a good set of heads and future prospects, I'd jump right to the Accufab 75mm and EGR spacer.

Injectors? - Stick with your 19's until necessary. Nothing here requiring larger injectors at this point. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be good.

Rocker arms? - Roller rockers. 1.6 ratio. Select your cam accordingly.

Mass air flow sensor? - This should be the last thing you buy and coincide with the purchase of your injectors. Do NOT purchase a meter with a user replaceable air sample tube. They have a tendency to be erratic. You will need a larger MAF but your build needs to be closer to being planned before you can select one. Size is easy... 80mm with what's listed above. Calibration is what is left to discover.

I think it would be easier to help you if we knew what your light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel plan was. I mean... Do you plan to keep it? Ride it for a while and move on? You said street but what kind of street? Do you want a stop light warrior that's a fun cruise on weekends or a something you plan to drive back and forth to work and just feel great about being in the car?

Initial budget first though. If you plan to "some day" do this but can only do that right now, etc... That would be good to know too. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Oh... and the dude that "liked" my post above? @mikestang63 He's a good one to ask about doing things within a budget and in stages.

He's been doing it since I first saw him on Stangnet and can help you to avoid a LOT of the pitfalls of having to do things over.

For some damned reason, I don't see a build thread for him. :fuss:

Here's the next best thing: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/search/20111723/

Mike does his research. The link will take you the posts that he's created. Many of those threads may answer questions that you've not thought to ask.

Lucky for you, you can't see his off-topic posts yet. LOL That would be a LOT to weed though. :rlaugh:

Budget for the drivetrain is $2000.
I plan to keep it. 3:73 makes sense after reading more.
Our goals. Fun, great sounding stang, still able to run on the eway on a day trip w the lady. I have no aspirations of killing every ls that pulls up.
What cam would be best?
I have read the stock heads are very restrictive!? Is this true? Any decent budget heads recommended?

I should have been more specific.
I would like to make 300-325hp. Streetable still able to take a day trip in northern MI on the twisty roads. I plan to drive it and use it on a regular basis. It will not be my only ride, as I have motorcycles and a Yukon as well. I DONT want to just throw a huge cam at it and mismatch everything else. On my budget of $2000 I would like to install parts that will work well together and compliment each other.

Ok... Everything I've seen your post so far is super doable.

I still like your intake
I would buy a set of used AFR or TFS heads that are 185cc with 58cc chambers. Sure, the 165s might give you a little more horse with your setup but you'll kick yourself on your next upgrade.

Once you no-chit have your heads, and intake picked out, send an email to Anderson Ford Motorsports and ask for recommendation.

I would go 1 5/8" long tubes and 2.5 inch header back through a 3-way catted H pipe.

Pull the motor and replace all the soft parts. Check compression and bearings. You should be able to find a used set of heads in the thousand dollar range.

Let the HP take care of itself. It's not crazy tough to make the kind of power that you want.
The Anderson N51 is probably where they will steer you. It makes a lot more power than e-cam on a compatible setup, through the entire rpm range. E cams suck down low.