HELP! What are the "run in" limits for 64 1/2 belhouse?

CPOWoodyUSNRet

Oct 17, 2010
I'm am a novice here so please bear with me everybody.

I have a 1964 1/2 block and it's a 289ci engine with a 5 bolt bell housing and a 10 inch clutch. My 4 speed transmission is capable of accomodating BOTH the 5 bolt or 6 bolt pattern bell house. We are ready to drop the rebuilt engine back intot he car but before stabbing the engine we need to set the "run in" or "dial in" limits for the bell house for that set up. I think my transmission is a Borg Warner T10 but I'm not sure. My mechanic says the "run in" and/or "dial in" is currently set at 10 thousandths. I don't know if "run in" and "dial in" are the same things so I'm sorry for not knowing enough about this to explain it properly if they are different term for different parts of the bell housing. I have to say though that I'm sure learning a lot lately about my old pony. Can anyone help me out with this? It might be better if you contact my mechanic Todd (he's also my best friend) at his email address directly with any answers or questions since he's far more qualified to ask the question than me. His email address is [email protected]. I will also check back here soon or you can email me at [email protected] with the answer, assuming I haven't confused everyone by now that is. Thanks for helping out a broken old sailor.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey shipmate. Page 161 of the 2010 Ford Racing Catalog has an excellent description of this procedure. However, it's extremely unlikely that a factory cast bellhousing would be misaligned. Offset dowel pins are available to correct such problems, should they occur.

I was hoping to get the bellhouse run in spec limits on the forum.

Thanks for the info but I was hoping for an immediate answer about whether or not 10 thousands of an inch setting for the bell house run in is within specs or not. That's where my friend has it set at now but we want to double check before stabbing the engine back into the car. Nothin sucks more than to drop and engine in and then you have to pull everything apart again because the setting wasn't correct. We are trying to avoid that potential problem.

Hey shipmate. Page 161 of the 2010 Ford Racing Catalog has an excellent description of this procedure. However, it's extremely unlikely that a factory cast bellhousing would be misaligned. Offset dowel pins are available to correct such problems, should they occur.

Thanks for the info but I was hoping for an immediate answer about whether or not 10 thousands of an inch setting for the bell house run in is within specs or not. That's where my friend has it set at now but we want to double check before stabbing the engine back into the car. Nothin sucks more than to drop and engine in and then you have to pull everything apart again because the setting wasn't correct. We are trying to avoid that potential problem.

OK, here's the text:

How To Check Bellhousing Alignment:
The first step is to check bellhousing face runout. You are checking for parallelism of the back of the bellhousing to the back of the block. Install the dial indicator (as shown in Fig.1). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the reading. Be sure to push the crankshaft against the thrust bearing for an accurate reading. Maximum runout is .010. The next step is checking bellhousing bore runout. You are checking to see if the bellhousing bore centerline is aligned with crankshaft centerline. Reposition the dial indicator in the bellhousing bore (as shown in Fig. 2). Rotate the crankshaft and mark down the readings. Maximum out of concentricity is .015. If the bore runout is out of spec, install appropriate offset dowels.

To download this catalog, click "PDF" in the lower right corner.
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [2010 Catalog]