help with 96 cobra purchase

Hello, I'm hoping for some quick input on a possible purchase. I'm looking at a mint 96 cobra in seemingly mint condition for cheap. The owner "thinks" it has a bad head gasket because it overheats and blows exhaust smoke. I'm awaiting responses from the seller so I don't have any exact details yet such as compression tests, milky oil etc. However, I've heard that cobras of this era have bad cooling and have been reading of similar problems but the culprit being simpler cooling issues compared to a head gasket. I'm probably being hopeful but if anyone can chime in I'd greatly appreciate even if anyone knows what cost to expect if it's in fact a head gasket. Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

hi, 96 cobra owner myself. yes the factory cooling systems on these cars were notoriously :poo:, BUT the car should have been taken to ford for the recall, to have the entire cooling system replaced. ask the owner, he will know. secondly, ask for the documentation. Every cobra came from the factory with paperwork and certificates confirming that it indeed is a limited edition Cobra. the certificate of authenticity will have info on the car, like the vin, the color, the day it was made, the man who built it, ect. the engine will have a sticker on the left head cover that identifies it as a genuine cobra engine, and will be signed by the man who hand built it. lastly, just talk to the owner, as he will know the car best. good luck with the purchase. if there is anything else you need to know, simply ask and i will help to the best of my abilities.