Help with coolant leak from my Thermostat housing

deadly97snake

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Manchester, NH
I just did my intake install and I have a small coolant leak right on the bottom part of my thermostat housing. I used the black high temp RTV sealent and a new gasket. I also torqued the bolts down to the reccomended specs given to me by the Haynes manual. I don't know why it is leaking but drips really slow. Does this happen to alot of 94-95 stangs?

• Sponsors (?)

Your thermostat probably isnt in there right. I was tearing my hair out with the same problem like 6 months ago. use the RTV to sort of "glue" the T-stat into the grooves of the water neck. That way it wont slip down when you put it into the lower intake, and thats probably why its not sealing. Its hard to notice but it slips down out of the groove very slightly and causes a leak.

Yeah that is your problem for sure. It slips out of place really easily. I did mine this weekend too and I decided to install the thermostat and the housing while the intake was off the car to insure it was in there right. Too late for that now but take it apart again and make sure its in there correctly and the leaking with stop.

RIO5.0 said:
deadly97snake...Did you make it to FFW??? looked around for your car and no dice...
My thermo has the drips to.... :bang:

No I did a cobra intake install with 24# injectors, a C&L 76mm MAF, and a BBK 70mm TB and I have been having some bad problems since. I started the install on Monday and finished Friday night. My car hasn't been driving right since. I havn't figured out the problem yet.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=494724

I had to actually had to add coolant today cause the leak is bad. My low coolant light came on while I was trying to adjust the timing. :bang:

1) Use thermostat housing RTV. You can get it from Autozone. It can withstand both heat and exposure to water and coolant better.

2) Put the RTV around the thermostat and place the gasket on the thermostat and let it dry so when you go to place it on the thermostat housing it won't move. It's important you do this so the sucker don't move and you don't have to keep going back in there fixing it.

3) Once it's dry make sure you put RTV around the lip of the thermostat housing and around the screw holes and then close it up.

4) Run your finger around the entirety of the exterior of the thermostat housing to wipe away any excess that was squeezed out of the housing. This will not only keep it looking clean but press some of it back into the crack to seal it better.

5) Allow to sit a minimum of 15 minutes or so to allow it to dry and then crank er up. Remember it takes 24 hours for silicone to fully cure though.

Hope it helps :nice:

JJ