help with draining oil. what plug does how much?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
front plug does 1 qt and the bottom one does the other 4? correct? i just got a qt of marvel mystery oil im going to add and run for about 500 miles i think. i need to know how to drain a qt of oil. quick answer is all i need.

i also got some new drain plug gaskets, they are the rubber/metal kind, what do you prefer? i had nylon ones and they started leaking. my new magnetic plugs came with a ****ty thin one.

• Sponsors (?)

just get a pan under the car and roll up your sleaves and drain some. I would drain from the back plug because if you are wrong about the front only draining 1 quart it is harder to get that plug back in. Just pull out the rear plug and stick it back in once you have drained a bit out.

drain some into a pan, then pour the pan into a qt. bottle...if you empty out 1.5qts then who cares? add another half quart of new oil (and the quart of marvel mystery)to make up the difference..it's not rocket surgery

~Mark~

front plug does 1 qt and the bottom one does the other 4? correct?

I've never measured the amount from the front drain but this has been my observation as well (it's about one quart). I would just pop the front drain and see where you stand afterwards.

Good luck.