Help with gas smell when I park car in garage??

We just bought a 66 c-code 2nd.owner coupe.Seller has all smog unit on (Ca.) even thu exempt. I parked car after buying and I had gas fumes comming from under air cleaner,no visable signs of leaks.Smell desapates after awhile but not all the way. Stock 2 barrel new 10 k miles ago. I'm a baby boomer so I can handle old car odors but the gas fumes are driving my wife crazy!! Does smog canister (carbon) vent. Car drives fine it only happens when I park.Seller says didn't nottice(lol) Is it carb leaking once turned off into intake , then venting ?? Thanks much been many years since had a car this old (this isn't normal)and will buy manual soon. Thanks-Doug in Temecula Ca.

• Sponsors (?)

Assuming no visible leaks, I vote for the fuel in the float bowl percolating when the hot engine is shut down. Try a heat insulating gasket under the carb.

Thanks much Realmongo-Are those gaskets easy to find(napa etc.) Going to pull air cleaner and re-inspect. Just turned 60 so trying to remember this stuff.(To much partying and Vietnam LOL)Thanks-Doug

We just bought a 66 c-code 2nd.owner coupe.Seller has all smog unit on (Ca.) even thu exempt. I parked car after buying and I had gas fumes comming from under air cleaner,no visable signs of leaks.Smell desapates after awhile but not all the way. Stock 2 barrel new 10 k miles ago. I'm a baby boomer so I can handle old car odors but the gas fumes are driving my wife crazy!! Does smog canister (carbon) vent. Car drives fine it only happens when I park.Seller says didn't nottice(lol) Is it carb leaking once turned off into intake , then venting ?? Thanks much been many years since had a car this old (this isn't normal)and will buy manual soon. Thanks-Doug in Temecula Ca.

I would replace the rubber fuel line in the engine compartment, you can buy it at NAPA by the foot, then check if the carb has a spacer and gasket underneath & tighten it down. Also you should check all of the screws on the carb holding the fuel bowls on. If you have a site plug, check the float level to make sure that it's not too high. Are you positive the odor is coming from under the hood? I had one of those POS repro fuel sending units in the gas tak leak just enough to make a huge stink in my garage but it never looked wet.

I just replaced the hose that couples the filler tube and the gas tank in the trunk, and that corrected my problem. The hose looked fine on the outside, bu tthe inside was all cracked and dry rotted allowing the smell to permeate. Open up the trunk and see if you notice the smell of gas.

Thanks for all the input- Found the problem

Hey guys: The problem was that the accelerator pump had a slow leak from the cover. So, I bought a new diaphragm will install this weekend. I'm working with a warped cover, so hopefully it will seal. thanks to all.

You know, my covers were warped too. I put the edges in my vise and straightened them some and that helped, but i also realized that the original gaskets had metal shims in them. The new gaskets I got would still leak, so I took those original shims, cleaned them with brake cleaner, and reinstalled them with the new gaskets and original covers. Works fine now. Mine leaked like a faucet without those shims though.

Thanks for all the help will remember the shims.

You know, my covers were warped too. I put the edges in my vise and straightened them some and that helped, but i also realized that the original gaskets had metal shims in them. The new gaskets I got would still leak, so I took those original shims, cleaned them with brake cleaner, and reinstalled them with the new gaskets and original covers. Works fine now. Mine leaked like a faucet without those shims though.

Another member has a accelerator cover for ford 2bl. hopefully that will be the fix. Talked to sellers(just bought car) mech. and he told me 800 miles ago he replaced the gasket and told me the cover was warped when he(machined) changed it out . Anyway drove 90 miles home(didn't know) leaking gas pulled into the garage with my first DIY-LOL---A good 4th of July to all. Including my fellow VFW members this independence day. Doug