Help with Insurance

Venom800

Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I am currently a 23 year old male with a perfect driving record (no tickets that stuck on my record). I have the money to buy either a 2005 Mustang GT, or possibly a 2004 Cobra, but I have been getting ridiculous insurance quotes. I was given a rate of almost 300 a month to insure either vehicles. Does anyone have any advice? Is there anyway around this? I am very anxious to get my first stang, but I don't want to be paying another car payment for insurance. I would appreciate any advice you might have.

• Sponsors (?)

Venom800 said:
I am currently a 23 year old male with a perfect driving record (no tickets that stuck on my record). I have the money to buy either a 2005 Mustang GT, or possibly a 2004 Cobra, but I have been getting ridiculous insurance quotes. I was given a rate of almost 300 a month to insure either vehicles. Does anyone have any advice? Is there anyway around this? I am very anxious to get my first stang, but I don't want to be paying another car payment for insurance. I would appreciate any advice you might have.

Try Progressive.com if you haven't already.

Just remember when you hit the big 2-5, your rates will drop provided you haven't has any tickets. Maybe you should wait until the 06 models come out or a late 05. Currenty, I have been reading that people ordering now will won't get their cars till jan/feb maybe later if you are ordering the IUP package. Calculate how long till you hit 25 (up to 2 years) and maybe an late 05/06 is the best way so you will only pay $$$$ insurance or about 6 months to 1 year.

Progressive gave me a quote of 600/year less than Allstate but I am an "older" than you. Try Geico. Just search around and play with the deductables and consider your time frame till 25.

Hope this helps
And good luck. Keep us posted on your progress

Shop around for other insurance quotes. However, be weary of the following.

When I have shopped around for cheaper insurance, I have found that all too often (about 90% of the time) I am quoted lower rates for less insurance. By this I mean, I request a quote with $250 deductibles, but get a quote with $500 or even $1000 deductibles. Or the policy limits are 1/2 of what I requested. It doesn't seem to matter if I request the quote through a mailing, or through a website. I guess they are all hopeful that I would just look at the lower rate, and not notice that they changed things like the deductibles and the policy limits from what I specified.

Many times the insurance company will run a credit check on you. This gets recorded by the credit bureaus just as if you went for a loan. Request 10 such insurance quotes, get "dinged" on your credit score as if you just applied for 10 loans. Not very fair, in my opinion, but be careful. When you actually go for that big car loan, they might not like the recent "loan spree", and resulting lower FICO score, on your credit report.

You should try Mercury INS. They saved my buddy over 200$ every six months. I have found progressive to be expensive no matter how many tickets I put in the quote. But I feel you pain Im 22 and have had one ticket that stuck.

I am 27, have a perfect driving record, Two other cars, engagement ring, and a house insured through State Farm and they told me 78 bucks a month. I think this is a good deal. It is so hard when you are a guy and not 25 yet to get good insurance, sorry dude. I would say wait, or put your parents on the car if they are willing.