Help With Noise While Turning

Austin00GT

Mar 30, 2017
Hi guys!
I'm new to this forum and have searched countless threads without much luck. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I own a 2000 4.6 GT manual with 105k miles. I've owned it for about a year and have only basic mechanic knowledge. So here's my problem:

Upon turning left, typically at lower speeds, my back left wheel makes a rotational medium-pitch noise. It has now progressed to where it'll occasionally happen upon initial acceleration after a complete stop, or when going over speed bumps or bumpy roads. It's been pretty persistent for about a year or so while getting progressively louder. It is now really loud and a huge nuisance.

Last year I took it out with my old auto shop teacher to see if he could help me figure out what's up. We spent some time on it but couldn't figure it out. He simply suggested bringing it back when it got worse so we could try and better pinpoint the issue. Yesterday I finally decided to take it to a shop to see if they could tell me what the issue is. Their initial thoughts were something along the lines of something screwy in the rear differential. Upon further driving though, the mechanic had me drive in a circle while lightly applying the brake. With the brake engaged, the noise disappeared completely. The guy then told me a possible fix may be to get new back rotors and pads.

Another thing I experimented with myself was to pull the handbrake a bit while driving in slow circles. It seemed to have the same remedied effect when pulled enough. Although, when only slightly engaged the noise was still persistent and the rotational noise (rubbing?) could be felt through the handbrake. I'm currently in the hole trying to fix a number of other identified problems with my stang, so I would prefer to have a more definite fix as well as, hopefully, some insight from the much more experienced than myself mustang owners on here.

Thanks in advance for the help guys and have a great day!

• Sponsors (?)

A few thoughts:
- oil level in the diff correct?
- oil type (with friction modifier added separately as necessary) correct?

If you only hear this on left turns from the left side you might consider looking at the thing more closely:
- lift the rear and remove the wheel
- remove the left rear brake caliper (and hang it on a bungee to protect the hydraulic hose...)
- inspect the condition of the pads and rotor
- re-install a couple of lug nuts to hold the rotor firmly in place
- apply a force inward and outward on the rotor or flange and check for excessive in/out movement of the axle

If the axle moves > 1/4" you should remove the differential cover and inspect the spider gear shaft, the C-clip and the left-axle for reasons why it's loose. When turning left the forces are trying to pull the axle out of the housing which is stopped from coming out by the C-clip; perhaps what you're hearing is the axle moving excessively and rubbing on other parts, relying on them to hold it in place (e.g. the pads/caliper.)