Suspension Help With Springs

SVT3183

Mar 30, 2005
S Jersey
long story short, i am selling my 96 cobra (keeping the 95) to my dad but it is slammed with eibachs and he wants to return to stock height. Ford does not make the OE springs anymore and i do not see after market stock height fronts, although i found the rears. he doesnt want used. few questions:

are 99-04 gt springs the same height? i know they changed from variable to non.

anyone have the bullitt springs installed? how much did it drop front and back? pics?

thanks
joe

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't work something out with Kurt, I don't see how you could go wrong with the Bullitt or Mach 1 springs. Does your dad really want the 4x4 look? Maybe he hasn't seen a pic of these things at stock ride height.

I bought a nice set of eibachs [ forgot what series] that only lowered the car an inch. the ride quality if anything got better that may be an option. the visual change was also minimal

I don't know the exact drop but the car definitely sits low and rides hard. I agree stock is not a great look, but my questions still remain:
are 99-04 gt springs the same height?
anyone have the bullitt springs installed? how much did it drop front and back? pics?

Kurt - i assume you mean take offs and he wants new

Yeah, I wouldn't want to put stock springs back in anyway. They are such a pain to get in there. You really need that specialty spring compressor that goes through the top of the spring mount.

Kurt

I was told by Ford Racing that the Bullit/Mach1 springs don't lower SN95's much if at all. The new edge cars are a little bit heavier than ours, so the bullit springs were setup for lowering at the increased weight level.
The Bullit srings are the higher rates too which will ride harder, but it's actually a good thing. After I put the FR C-springs in my car (similar rates) it rode so much tighter than the stocks prings which sort of let the car bounce all over. You get one big impact when hit a bump in the road, instead of a light bump and the body wollowing all over with the stock springs.

What is his main concern? The fact that it's lowered/ground clearance or just the rough ride quality? In my opinion, the FR B-springs are good all around compromise. You get some of the lowered look, with some of the benefits of the inceased springs rates, but not as agressive as the C's or Cobra R springs.

If you really want to go back to new stock springs, start checking Ford OEM parts order places online or your local dealer. The bad thing is that Ford has discontinued a ton of parts for our cars and they've dramatically marked up what's left. You'll probably end up paying twice the cost of aftermarket springs for the stockers.

Steeda springs lower the car by about 3/4" in the back & 1-1 1/4 in the front, and they're progressive rate so they're pretty smooth. Of course, I don't believe any aftermarket springs are as soft as the OEM ones.