Help with stained wheels

SVTCobra66

Founding Member
May 4, 2002
I have a 96 GT w/ 16" wheels (stock), and after a year at my apartment they are badly stained. Looks like when it rains (which happens often in FL : ) the brake dust drips down and then bakes on the wheels, and it won't come off no matter how hard i scrub.. is there any product out there that will get rid of the stains? Anything else i can do? Its only the front wheels that have the problem.
Thanks
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

see....

attachment.php

Attachments

• sig1.jpg
    sig1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 109
I have the stock 17's for a 96 and my wheels are badly stained also. I was going to try simple green and see if it works. I don't ever drive my car and some dogs peed on the wheels and I didn't know it and know it won't come off.

I buy Purple Power by the gallon (for $3.98!) at Advanced Auto...it's probably the best I've found so far at removing stains, degreasing, etc. And it won't harm paint. But it does dry your hands out big time, so you might want to use caution (or gloves). I know the stains you are talking about and I have to battle them constantly. This is the best and cheapest stuff to use, but it'll still take some elbow grease as well. I use a B&D ScumBuster and one of those brushes specially made for cleaning wheels (also available at Advanced Auto Parts).
4320P.jpg

Here is one very good way to get the stains out. Use Eagle1 chrome and wire wheel cleaner. This will take the stains off. Then wax the wheels to get that gloss back to them. You do not want to use this cleaner everytime you clean your wheels because over time the acid in this cleaner will etch away at the clear coat on the wheels. But works great at taking hard to get off brake dust off of the wheels. Not to mention at getting the inside of the wheel clean also! A good thing to do to prevent the brake dust from becoming baked on the wheels is to spray your wheel down with tire shine just like you do to the tires. This acts like a second clear coat for the wheels. And I also use purple power...That is the best and cheapest wheel and tire and all around great degreaser I have found also...Simple Green SUCKS! :flag: