Help With Stereo Selection

raginbul469- Nope, didn't get it backwards, Pioneer=worst Alpine= 2nd worst.. And you have 5 years experience and work at BB. Not flaming at all my friend but BB and CC is a training ground and not a good one at that. Now that you have a few years behind you, branch out and go find a custom shop to work at, thats where the fun starts.

• Sponsors (?)

I went out last week and got a SIRIUS Boom Box and receiver. The reception SUCKS!!

I practically have to stand in the middle of the driveway and hold the antenna up in the air for any reception. I am AMAZED that they even sell service and I am ASHAMED to own their stock.

Tomorrow, Im gonna go exchange it for an XMSR unit....hopefully that will have better reception.

RC

If you have a decent selection of MP3's on your computer, you should get one that can play MP3 files. I haven't listened to the radio ever since. And no worries about reception.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
If you have a decent selection of MP3's on your computer, you should get one that can play MP3 files. I haven't listened to the radio ever since. And no worries about reception.
Scott

Well,
Normally what I do is bring my laptop to the pharmacy (mainly on Sundays, when I can listen to my Christian Music). I plug in the external speakers and just play whatever songs Im in the mood for. So I dont really need a separate MP3 Player.

OK HERE's the scoop:

Just got back from Cir. City, and exchanged the Sirius unit for the XM unit. I hooked it up in the center of the room with the antenna just attached to the top of the unit, and it came right in. Ill go ahead and activate service for a month now, and see if I can get some reception.

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
Well,
Normally what I do is bring my laptop to the pharmacy (mainly on Sundays, when I can listen to my Christian Music). I plug in the external speakers and just play whatever songs Im in the mood for. So I dont really need a separate MP3 Player.

OK HERE's the scoop:

Just got back from Cir. City, and exchanged the Sirius unit for the XM unit. I hooked it up in the center of the room with the antenna just attached to the top of the unit, and it came right in. Ill go ahead and activate service for a month now, and see if I can get some reception.

RC
RC did you ever actually get anything in your car, in the way of new deck? It is not hard at all if you are fearing the install, I can guide you through it in simple terms if you would like and you will not have to gut anything....and it will sound good. Dan

saxman9801 said:
RC did you ever actually get anything in your car, in the way of new deck? It is not hard at all if you are fearing the install, I can guide you through it in simple terms if you would like and you will not have to gut anything....and it will sound good. Dan
Thanks Dan...
I havent yet, but one reason IM saving this thread is to make a note of the guys willing to help...so if I DO get a new deck, I can refer back to here.

Circuit City charges NOTHING if you buy from them, if you use the existing speakers and get the harness. I think the guy said that it is only about $40 for them to do it if you want all the stuff rewired...I dont think that's too bad a deal.

UPDATE ON THE XMSR Boombox...
It works :banana: :banana:
Even inside the pharmacy, I get reception., if the antenna is positioned right....If not, the signal is weak, but THERE nonetheless.

For the car, I may just get the adapter for the car, hook it up, and just use that for now..Thing is I dont drive a whole lot, but it might be worth the investment instead of buying a complete stereo system.

RC

RC unless you are going to replace the speakers as well do not rewire it, the mach system is set up with 4 tweets and 4 bass drivers, so when you rewire into the factory stuff it sounds like poo, just get a headunit a harnes and a level converter and it will be easy, they can do it for free, and it will sound good for you. You got the delphi xm unit? I have the mini one for my car and it works great, have been debating about getting the home kit just worried i would not get rececption. Yours works well so far though? Thanks Dan

saxman9801 said:
RC unless you are going to replace the speakers as well do not rewire it, the mach system is set up with 4 tweets and 4 bass drivers, so when you rewire into the factory stuff it sounds like poo, just get a headunit a harnes and a level converter and it will be easy, they can do it for free, and it will sound good for you. You got the delphi xm unit? I have the mini one for my car and it works great, have been debating about getting the home kit just worried i would not get rececption. Yours works well so far though? Thanks Dan
When you say "mini", youre referring to the "roadie" unit?
I got the Skyfi. I can get reception in the house, and I brought it to work yesterday and got reception there as well.

I must say that I am not as happy with the XMSR equipment as I was with the SIRIUS equipment...just seems like cheap stuff, while the SIRIUS seemed much higher quality and had a much nicer display.

DONT worry about buying the home adapter and NOT getting reception. Just get it, and if the reception is poor, just return the equipment.

Im gonna go back to CC today and try buying a new SIRIUS unit to see if that is what the problem was.

RC

Yea i mean the roadie, i got hooked up on a fat deal on it through work so i could not go wrong, The xm boombox is kinda junky compared to the sirius one, but what i have heard from people we have sold the sirius one too, is the home kit or boombox is picky on where it picks up rececption they do make extension cables for the home kits though if you went that way get it in a window and see how it goes from there, one other thing to think about too though is the sirius car antenna is considerbally larger than the xm one, looks like a huge zit, also another reason i went with xm. good luck Dan

Im going right now to go look for a unit around $200 from C/C that has an MP3 player...I think they have an ALpine for about $180. They have the harness to connect it to the MACH, so Im sure I can do it myself.

Question is: DO you think this unit will have better sound quality than the stock Mach 460 if I just plug it up to the same wires or speakers...I dont need it to win any sound shows, just want it to play MP3's and sound somewhat nicer than now.

RC

Well, I got this one just now:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...ctronics&category=CD+and+Cassette+Car+Stereos

I hope you guys think this one is OK. I really didnt want to go over $200...and this is the best unit I could find for less. They didnt have the Mach Harness in stock, so I have to go to another C/C to get that piece. Im assuming that If Im able to remove the stock stereo, I can connect this (which I CAN do)

Thanks
RC