Help with temp and fuel not working

I am nearing the final assembly stage. I cannot get the fuel and temp gauges to work yet. I must have fried the little voltage regulator on the back of the speedo, so I replaced it with another, and it fried too. I put the new regulator on, the fuel gauge maxed out, then blew the regulator. Can anyone tell me if it matters which side the wires hook up to, they seem the same. What should the volts be on each of them? I have tried everything and those little regulators are not cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a pic

Did this show up?

Attachments

• Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 122
gw64cpe said:
I am nearing the final assembly stage. I cannot get the fuel and temp gauges to work yet. I must have fried the little voltage regulator on the back of the speedo, so I replaced it with another, and it fried too. I put the new regulator on, the fuel gauge maxed out, then blew the regulator. Can anyone tell me if it matters which side the wires hook up to, they seem the same. What should the volts be on each of them? I have tried everything and those little regulators are not cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It does matter which side they go to, but if you had them on the wrong way then your gauges would not read. It sounds like you are having a current problem here, as you're blowing out the volt. reg. for the insturment cluster. Try replacing the volt. reg. for your car(inside the engine bay), that might be letting too much current to your gauges.

-Shaun

gw64cpe said:

Use a volt/ohm meter and check the wires, the sending unit wire will have varing res to ground show up. that wire goes on the right side of the guages the other side is for the power from the volatge reducer reg.
Also check for pinched wires to the sending units.
a direct ground will spike the guage readings.

PB

pabear89 said:
Use a volt/ohm meter and check the wires, the sending unit wire will have varing res to ground show up. that wire goes on the right side of the guages the other side is for the power from the volatge reducer reg.
Also check for pinched wires to the sending units.
a direct ground will spike the guage readings.

PB
I 2nd that. ground the sender wires and turn ign. on. it should peak to max on the gauges. if it doesn't, the gauges are not getting proper voltage, or the gauges may be faulty, which is more rare.
I just use those diagnostics wires with the aligator clips. for example, unfasten the terminal from the water temp sender on the intake, clip one end to the terminal of the sender wire, and the other clip to a ground, like the studs on your shock tower.