Help With This Question About The Clutch!

Xander Berry

Apr 3, 2014
I want a new edge GT or cobra real bad. But i dont want a daily with a real stiff clutch, and i know it will never be as soft as like a civic and thats fine. For comparison I drive a 1995 Wrangler with the 2.5, cable operated clutch. How much stiffer do you think a mustangs clutch would be? I know this is probably a dumb question but id reallllly appreciate the help! thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hydraulic clutches did start in 2005 for Mustang. The stock clutch in a new edge GT or Cobra is not a stiff clutch. They are very user friendly. I drove mine for over 100xxx miles and I live in the city. I also drive quite a bit in heavy interstate traffic. Stock is easy going. Now aftermarket clutches will usually be a little bit heavier but different brands make different resistance.

Reactions: 1 user
The only time I wished for an automatic in my 00 GT was when my Wife and I got stuck in LA traffic on the way back from Disneyland. After a few hours of parking lot speeds my left leg was begging for mercy. Outside of that the clutch is no problem at all. Some aftermarket clutches actually claim less resistance than the factory clutch (King Cobra clutch comes to mind).

You ain't kidding about that! I talked to the Mcleod guys at the PRI show last year in Orlando and choked on my drink when he told me the price. There really isn't much to it either. Guess you gotta pay for all that r&d somehow. Maybe it will go down eventually.