Help with transmission kick down

chucks1967

Jul 3, 2006
Hey guys, I got a problem here. I have a C4 trans, and the kick down linkage on the transmission side will not move. The car runs fine, but I have to down shift now that the linkage is not working. I noticed that there is a small gringing in the gear selector when I put it into 1st gear. The Kick down cable needs to be replaced, but the linkage on the transmission has me confused. which position does it need to be in, and how far should the lever move. and will that have anything to do with the grinding I feal in the gear shift selector?

• Sponsors (?)

The kickdown linkage on a C4 does not NEED to be hooked up. The trans will downshift from the vaccume signal as well as the linkage so as long as the vaccume line is properly hooked up then you should be ok. If you had an AOD however, the TV kickdown linkage would be required.

It will downshift from drive to 2nd, but not from 2nd to 1st. Im fixing to put a ratchet shifter on so I guess that really dosent matter, but would be nice for the wife when she wants to drive. How about the shift linkage, how is that adjusted? When I have it in drive the selector says reverse, and the shifter stops are useless.

There is a rail that goes from the shifter to the transmission and there is a nut at the end on the trans side. Loosen the nut, put the trans in park and the shifter in park, then retighten the bolt.

cool, Will this fix the rest of the alignmet as well. Its not just park, its all of the gears, for example...when it is in 1st the selector says drive, and when it is in drive it says reverse... and so on.

chucks1967 said:
It will downshift from drive to 2nd, but not from 2nd to 1st. Im fixing to put a ratchet shifter on so I guess that really dosent matter, but would be nice for the wife when she wants to drive. How about the shift linkage, how is that adjusted? When I have it in drive the selector says reverse, and the shifter stops are useless.

My C4 won't shift from 2nd to 1st by itself unless you're travelling REALLY slow. I think it's just the nature of the C4.