Help with xcal2

Jun 15, 2005
Im confused at how this xcal 2 works...If I get a xcal 2 is it like the superchip handheld tuner where you can plug it into any ford vehicle and tune it with all the normal options like shift firmness, mph, gear size blah blah blah

or

Do I need to have a custom tune on there to do that?..

What If I buy a used xcal2 and then get the stock tune for my car on it..then will I be able to adjust all the things?

• Sponsors (?)

It IS a handheld tuner that comes in two flavors. One the Xcal 2 SF holds canned tunes. The plain old XCal 2 has to be custom tuned by an SCT dealer (like me) based on your combo and will hold three custom tunes. Some of the cut-rate Xcals you might see do not come with tunes - you will have to pay for them - we include 3 in the price and a USB cable and one year of free emailed tunes if you need them and free shipping. So when you compare, look at apples to apples. The Xcal will also read and clear DTCs and is an excellent datalogger - which is great because you can datalog wusing it with a laptop and send the log to the tuner and the tuner can then send you updated tunes based on the logs. I've successfully tuned cars all over the world in this manner - Europe, the mid-east, Aruba, and in the US - it works great and if you have a wideband, it's the closest thing to a dynotune without actually getting one. You can save a ton of money, but you have to do some of the work.

Be careful buying a used one, because once they are used once, they become VIN locked to that vehicle and they must return the vehicle to stock before they sell the Xcal to relelase the VIN Lock. You have to then unlock it with a free program from SCT. If the vehicle isn't returned to stock, it must be returned to an SCT dealer who will then send it to SCT and for $150 SCT will unlock it.

They do have user adjustability built in - IF the dealer turns that on in the tune. You can adjust a number of things in the tune with it.

If you need anymore info, even if you are getting a used one, feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Hope this helps,

Don

I would stay away from used ones. You never know what your buying. Check out Modualr PowerHouse or Brenspeed both sell them and can download you one of there mail order tunes which are both great.