Help

Salleystang.2000

May 22, 2017
I had my 2000 ford Mustang, sitting for about 6 months. (Never started it) Stupid, also I left the battery in it over winter.. long story short. Replaced with brand new battery, brand new fuel pump, and fuel filter... she will turn over bUT won't fire up.. now... my theft light Is on, I tried every trick I could find. And nothing I can get the light to go out but as soon as I turn it over the theft light starts blinking rapidly. Also. Code Reader only reads ERROR.... nothing else
Taking it in to ford tomorrow just want some insight cause I was told it might not even be the re programming... help please

• Sponsors (?)

Do you want a good guess? You may have a power problem where one or more critical systems are not powering up (like maybe the PCM itself). The fact that the ODB2 scan tool isn't "seeing" the PCM is an important symptom. Don't ignore it. Will need some tests to determine exactly where to focus.

NOTE, IF the PCM is not powering up, THEN it would be EXPECTED to have a PATS issue. Remember there is an exchange of information between the cluster and PCM to "prove out" PATS.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter (VOM) and are you willing to use it? If so I suspect you can fix this yourself.

Have you checked the fuses inside the engine bay and driver's kick panel?

Have you done a visual inspect looking for evidence of rodent or water damage?

Does the cluster display all dashes?

Does the cooling fan turn on at initial key on?

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Does the fuel pump run at EVERY key on cycle?

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Using a known good ground test for power at fuse F2.34 and F2.2.

Here's some information to also get you started:

1996+ Crank with no start check list
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

1999-2004 BJB CJB fuse panel layout:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user