Here to make you auto guys feel better

vipergt

Jul 6, 2005
OK auto versus manual war lets go.
My friend has been raggin me about my auto since I got in march and I never raced him until tonight because I got fed up with his raggin everytime he was around. He has an 03 GT with same mods as me minus predator. We go out to the highway to catch the light side by side. I pulled on him up to 3 cars to 80mph. We pull over and the look on his face is priceless so I told him he could not drive a manual like most everyday person so he says nope its that predator. So we drive back to my place to take the pred out of my car. Go back and same result but only by a car length give or take a bumper. He may get me on the interstate from 70-90 I dont know because thats when the auto sucks, but I dont think Ill do that because its to dangerous around here but if we do Ill let you guys know.Oh and were still friends thank goodness. I hate racin friends.

• Sponsors (?)

I disagree on Autos getting off the line as good as a Manual or being just as fast for that matter..... I used to own an '03 GT Auto and there was this guy I used to work with at Discount Tire that I raced quite often. He had an '04 GT Manual and we raced stock for stock and he yanked my ass from the very start. So, bout a month later, I go get some 4.10s, a Predator, and 17x9 Black Bullitt Rims with 275 Nittos on the back, and he gets a Prochamber and 18in. Boyd Coddingtons with 295 BFG KDWs(new tread design) on the back...... Well, we go again from a stop and from a 20 roll. Both times he just pulls me right off the start and never stops pulling..... so i know there is something to having a 5-speed. I swore I was getting off the line pretty damn good, but apparently not as good as he was.

After that little experience, I decided to get a 5-speed in the next pony I owned. No regrets thus far..... :nice: and the last auto Mach i raced saw my taillights before i got out of first gear

tomustang said:
the extra weight and drivetrain loss hold factors for an auto.
This is true, and is one of the main reasons why automatics tend to produce slightly slower times at that track in comparison to manuals. The extra drive train weight robs the automatic of a bit more hp. Not to mention the stock shifts are kind of slow. Glad I don't have that problem anymore thanks to my mods. I love my automatic and wouldn't have anything else........except maybe a set of VT Engine Stage II heads and cams to go with it. :D

bro there is no real handicap in having an auto, if anything you have an advantage. They rob a little more power and the gear ration isnt as good, but that only makes a difference on paper because very few people know how to get the most potential out of a manual, so not many drivers will take advantage of your transmition. This is why most bracket racers use autos...they are much more predictable and consistent. most people slow themselves down because they cant launch or shift properly. like someone said, a shift kit, and a converter, and autos are weapons. personaly, i think the 3650 is useless for racing without a short shifter. It is so sloppy and long that it is impossible to get a fast shift or even worse miss gears.

The main problem I have with my automatic is the unpredictable downshifts... You never know at what point in pressing down on the gas the thing is going to downshift on ya...

djlethalwang said:
I disagree on Autos getting off the line as good as a Manual or being just as fast for that matter..... I used to own an '03 GT Auto and there was this guy I used to work with at Discount Tire that I raced quite often. He had an '04 GT Manual and we raced stock for stock and he yanked my ass from the very start. So, bout a month later, I go get some 4.10s, a Predator, and 17x9 Black Bullitt Rims with 275 Nittos on the back, and he gets a Prochamber and 18in. Boyd Coddingtons with 295 BFG KDWs(new tread design) on the back...... Well, we go again from a stop and from a 20 roll. Both times he just pulls me right off the start and never stops pulling..... so i know there is something to having a 5-speed. I swore I was getting off the line pretty damn good, but apparently not as good as he was.

After that little experience, I decided to get a 5-speed in the next pony I owned. No regrets thus far..... :nice: and the last auto Mach i raced saw my taillights before i got out of first gear

A properly set up auto will whip most manuals all day long all other things beign equal. They'll be more consistent and they will launch and shift harder and faster. They actually have a mechanical advantage, but it is hidden in the sloppy, soft factory shifts and the soft factory torque converter settings. They are also less harsh on parts (ie.....axles and u-joints).

I was a devoted stick man....'till I rode in a high powered, manual shifted 500 inch Caddy engined TH400, matched torque convertered S10. It was an experience that forever changed my feelings about automatics. My next toy will have a manual shift valve body and a proper torque convertor. Most likely in a C4 or 4R70W.

Well i'm not necessarily saying that autos are worthless, because I know that they aren't. If I was running some major power and capable of running 10 sec quarter miles, yeah i'd have an auto..... but my only complaint is that you have to spend extra money and do more stuff to an auto to make it keep up with or even beat a standard. I had a Predator on my GT and had the shift firmness and all that set as high as it would go and it shifted a lot harder but made no real difference in getting more power to the ground. I realize with an actual shift kit and stall it might have been a closer race between me and my friend, but as it was he spanked my ass like I was driving a V6 pony...... Now that I have 16 more valves and two more cams things are quite the opposite now....

tomustang said:
the extra weight and drivetrain loss hold factors for an auto.
If im not mistaken, a stock auto only weighs 10-20lbs more than a manual. Now drivetrain loss is what sux through an auto...I think they lose 10rwhp vs a stock manual as well. Anyway the dbate continues...

djlethalwang said:

Thats why a higher stall converter is needed for an auto to even things up. Manuals can launch much higher than autos and thats why they get the jump off the line...SOMETIMES, anyway.

o3redfire said:
You gotta love KB and an auto, beats the hell out of tearing up the car trying to power shift down the 1/4 mile, and I plan to be in the 11's without a stall or shift kit.

Exactly. Not to mention autos keep pulling during shifts.

I do think centris are more beneficial on manuals. I could be wrong though, since I haven't driven one.

Like I always say...

"When you were pretending to drive as a little kid, did you ever pretend to shift out of Park?"

:)

J/k I know Autos can be fast, and i don't get when people whine about having one. My 5.0 is an AOD car and i always got **** for it.

It's personal preference...and when it's available, id rather have a stick over an automatic anyday. My preference