Here's an easy one! (hopefully)

Leezure

May 10, 2005
Is the terminal on the starter solenoid (M11000 A50) that controls the starter positively charged until the starter switch is engaged thereby triggering the starter motor or is it open waiting for a positive charge to engage the starter?

I ask only because I don't have time to enroll in tech school in order to read the schematic.

I am unable to locate the wire from the ignition switch that controls the starter so I am wiring a dedicated circuit. Any help will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey bud, you're stuck with me again. I dont have the factory manual handy to check that number. Can you relate you question to this picture. (pic courtesy of S&2B's). I might know what you mean but would rather relate it to a pic so I dont give crap advice.

Good luck.

The small wire located at about 9 O'clock in the picture is the wire that controls the solenoid. After reading the schematic in my Haynes manual it looks like the solenoid will activate the starter motor if current is applied to this terminal.

My question is... is this correct or does that wire always maintain current to keep the solenoid open (thereby requiring that the circuit be broken to activate the solenoid).

Sorry about the initial confusing post. Reading schematics to understand electrical systems is like watching Oprah and trying to figure out women!

I figured it out. The solenoid is activated by applying power to the smaller terminal on this starter. Now I am looking for the wire in the harness that has power when the starter switch is engaged. Somewhere between the switch and the White/Pink wire that was used to activate the original starter I am missing something.

I gotcha. You are absolutely correct. The solenoid rests when the starter is not working. WHen the S-teriminal gets 12 volts, this energizes the coil in the solenoid and closes the contact between the common and N.O. terminal on the solenoid (the big lugs on the solenoid).

Hey, if you find the crank wire color, please post it up. A fellow 94-95 guy on the Corral has been trying to find his S-terminal wire (a 94 roller with an '88 starter and solenoid - the latter is a remote solenoid set-up). I'll send him a link to your thread since I dont remember what color the S-terminal wire is down at the starter.

Check at your clutch safety switch (on the clutch pedal) to see if you have the switch. This might be the last known location for that crank (s-teriminal) wire for you. You could tap into the output of that switch (the input will be hot while cranking and if the clutch pedal is at rest, the output will be dead). Then run a fresh wire from there to the solenoid (that's a worst case, but quick and dirty fix).

Good luck.

I have spent hours trying to figure this one out but tonight I made it work. The schematic shows a white/pink wire from the ignition switch to the anti theft module (I don't have that so I located the terminal under the steering column) this has a white/pink and a red/light blue wire attached to it just like the schematic said it would. Here's where it gets loopy.

Earlier I removed the entire EEC harness from the passenger side of the car as well as any harness connected to the AODE (I'm now running an AOD). The transmission switch went out with the transmission when I sold it so I was forced to create my own circuit.

I ran a new wire from the white/pink wire under the steering column to the smaller white/pink wire that feeds into the power block and closes the relay thereby providing power to the starter. This should have been easy but the EEC side of the wiring harness( which I removed) contained both the tranny position switch harness and the ground for the starter relay.

I ran a new ground from the starter relay (black wire) and connected the two white/pink wires (from under the steering column to the smaller white/pink at the fuse block) to provide power to the relay. The relay clicked and sent power to the larger white/pink wire that was originally run to the stock starter solenoid. I ran this to the post on the new starter and voila! Power to the starter.

Rewiring an EFI car to work with the new carbed setup is not easy. I am constantly learning how everything interacts. If anyone has questions now is the time to ask. Once this project is finished I will banish it from my memory forever. Just kidding... what good is success without the aggravation endured on its behalf?

Nicely done! And thanks for articulating what you did - apparently you are not alone in having to go to some lengths to retrofit stuff - I'm sure it will help others. :nice: