Hey!!!...another Question - Shift Points

justin82

Sep 14, 2017
ok, again new here and thanks!
1989 5.0
151000 mi, everything stock i believe, except for the cold air intake, and flowmasters...
so, is it worth dumping any money into? its so fun to drive!...and just wondering where everyone shifts at...is that dumb?...idk...lol

again thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Is it worth dumping money into? If it’s your hobby that you love like me, then hell yes it’s worth it.

I’ll dump between $10k and $15k on rebuilding mine.

Does it make financial sense? Not one damn bit. But I love working on it. If your wife complains about it just explain that it’s a crafts project.

Is it worth dumping money into? If it’s your hobby that you love like me, then hell yes it’s worth it.

I’ll dump between $10k and $15k on rebuilding mine.

Does it make financial sense? Not one damn bit. But I love working on it. If your wife complains about it just explain that it’s a crafts project.

lol...craft project!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Financially it's probably not worth putting money into because you'll probably not get it back. For me it's a hobby and I enjoy working on my car so it's worth it.

As far as shifting goes. I stift around 2500-3000 when driving normally and around 5500 when running it hard. My car still has the stock heads at the moment so there is no power to be had after 5500.

"Is it worth it" is up to you. If you plan to put a bunch of money into restoring it the sad reality is you won't get it back. If you're having fun with it and want to modify/upgrade as you go along go for it ! There are a ton of upgrades you could do as well as a lot of quality used parts available.
If the engine is all stock than shifting at anything much above 5k is a waste.

Ahh Dan02gt beat to the punch, seems like we're in agreement.

All cars are a waste of money. They are a depreciating liability, however these cars are more of a hobby and the return you get isn't necessarily financial, but it does bring you satisfaction...most of the time

OK thank you I appreciate all the answers... Like I said earlier it's all stock 151000 miles.... If I were to start someplace where would I start
Again thanks

Some basic mods:
If rear gears are stock change them out to 3:73 or 3:55 depending on how you use the car, doesn't add horsepower but makes the car feel more powerful.
Look into stiffening up the suspension with sub frame connectors.
Check braking system and repair/replace accordingly, change fluid, upgrade pads.
Given the mileage you'll need to access the condition of the engine before doing any upgrades to it.

Some basic mods:
If rear gears are stock change them out to 3:73 or 3:55 depending on how you use the car, doesn't add horsepower but makes the car feel more powerful.
Check braking system and repair/replace accordingly, change fluid, upgrade pads.
Given the mileage you'll need to access the condition of the engine before doing any upgrades to it.

thanks!...
i dod a tune up...has frame connectors....gonna do brakes soon!...
do rear gears?...id love to feel faster...just to work and back...but on the way i like to open it up a bit....i would like to "feel" like i have more horses!

thanks!...
do rear gears?...id love to feel faster...just to work and back...but on the way i like to open it up a bit....i would like to "feel" like i have more horses!
Gears are the easiest way.

Pay attention to your brakes though.

Good shocks and springs, better rear control arms too. Hell, new bushings are a wonderful thing too.

It all depends on your definition of "Dump money." There's a huge difference between spending $500 on gears and fixing the occasional broken part and farming out a ground up resto complete with rust repair and show quality paint job.

thanks!...
My typical blurb for first mods is.....5 lug disc brake swap, subframe connectors, then suspension and bushings. Worry about going fast or gears after braking and handling. A 5spd 5.0 with upgraded gears is a lot of fun for a while.

Shift points...get the car dyno'd and that will tell you everything you need to know.

These cars are hit and miss dropping coin on..half the time you can pick up one with the mods you wanted for what it would cost to install it on the one you have....kind of confusing market sometimes.

Some basic mods:

thanks man...so just gears to start, etc...until I look into the engine?...thanks!