HEY, is this 89' distributor supposed to do this?

slipkid269

Jun 24, 2021
Michigan
I was getting the distributor cleaned up to go back in and noticed what may be a issue.

Here is a pic of what I see. When I took the dist out and turned it I could feel "cogging". Like when you turn a brushless motor. Ok I think maybe it's supposed to be that way. Cleaning I noticed the cogging was from the ...(my best guess part names), the wheel, is hitting the pickup. When I straighten it up the dist has no cogging and is smooth. Also looks to be metal shavings attached to it? Must be a magnetic pickup?

So what I want to know is , Is this supposed to be this way? Looks like the whole plastic base the pickup is attached to is egged out because it rocks on the posts.

distributor.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and helping me get my old Falcon running right! There is a build thread here also.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the comment. I am looking for a rebuild kit of some type or another. I see to take it apart you have to pull the pin. Hopefully I gotta punch for that job. Maybe a reason to give my money to Harbor F again. I even had punches on my list and skipped over it last week. The price of a new distributer is up there a bit! $269 Is what I saw at a quick glance. Think I'll keep looking a bit, see what my options are for this weeks spenditure.

It's an 1/8" roll pin, so a 1/8" drift punch, or a crappy 1/8" drill bit, will drive it right out. The distributor bushings can be a little difficult to find, but they are out there. I haven't sourced them for a couple years. Need to tear it down and see what's worn. Attached is the ignition system service manual for your 89.

Attachments

• 89 Ford Ignition System SM.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 117
Reactions: 1 user
A cardone remanufactured distributer w/o module and w/o cap/rotor Is $70. I just replaced my original one that was very wobbly with it. It had a ford pick up still in it and I put a motorcraft tfi on it.

It's an 1/8" roll pin, so a 1/8" drift punch, or a crappy 1/8" drill bit, will drive it right out. The distributor bushings can be a little difficult to find, but they are out there. I haven't sourced them for a couple years. Need to tear it down and see what's worn. Attached is the ignition system service manual for your 89.
Wow thanks Hoytster! That pdf really hit the spot. Just the info I needed. So I am kinda surprised the engine ran at all with vacuum leaks and a wack distributor! I have not much luck finding repair parts or distributors for that matter. There are some really cheap ones, I find mixed reviews on or the price is above $250 for a good one and some of those I am not sure of. And when you do find a good one more often than not they don't have any! I did find one I consider good at CJ's pony parts for less than $100. I looked at the difference in performance parts compared to factory replacement but there is really no difference besides being cnc'd or cast.

Do yourself a favor if you plan to own for years and find an extra stock known-good dizzy to stick in and trouble shoot with. I have one and it's been invaluable.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users