Hey Mustang Experts! I'm a converted Chevy guy and I need your help deciding what to order....

I'm brand new here, and as I said, I've historically been a Chevy guy with my first Hot Rod being a 1960 Chevy Impala than a 1996 Impala Super Sport 1986 Pontiac GTA and most recently a Camaro Super Sport. I love the design sound and feel of the G6 Mustang and I've officially converted and plan on making this my next and maybe final hot rod. I use the term hot rod not for modern-day street racing or track use, I'm an old-school guy and just like to cruise and sound good. Here's my question...

I have fallen in love with the look and style of the 2019 GT California Special. I do want to add some performance to include perhaps an upgrade to the suspension, but have no other real needs for modifications. Not having one available to test drive or actually see , I'm relatively blind in ordering a California Special. There doesn't seem to be much information on them for the 2019 Edition oh, and even my local Ford dealers don't know a lot about them.

With that being said, do you think there will be collectability to the California Special? Rather than upgrading suspension components, should I just opt for a GT with a performance pack? I can add side scoops and get the grabber thread interior similar to the California Special on a GT PP, but I'm concerned about uniqueness and collectability. Anybody that has some history on the special edition versions of Mustangs, and specifically the interest of the 2019 edition GT/CS can you help me out with some insight about value and collectability of a California Special versus a slightly more hyped up stock GT.

Any insight would help in my decision, and I appreciate you reading through this and information you give.

• Sponsors (?)

Hate to burst your bubble, but at the volume the cars are built, there is no real value. That's different when you get into limited runs, ie cobra cars, gt 500s, 350 and 350r cars that are less than 5k a year made. Now you would get more back than a standard mustang. I would say gt with performance pack with options would be a more wanted car over a cali special. That's just my opinion. I love my s550 gt pp1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CS package just cosmetic? If you want to get a higher resale price later on you are better off with factory performance options like the PP and the active exhaust. Something else to consider is a popular color or a one year only color like mine. My advice, get a bullit mustang, it has the PP, active exhaust, exclusive color, wheels and badging. It also gets a 20 hp jump in HP over a regular GT. Consider a convertible too, they always command a premium price in the resale market.

Last edited:
Hate to burst your bubble, but at the volume the cars are built, there is no real value. That's different when you get into limited runs, ie cobra cars, gt 500s, 350 and 350r cars that are less than 5k a year made. Now you would get more back than a standard mustang. I would say gt with performance pack with options would be a more wanted car over a cali special. That's just my opinion. I love my s550 gt pp1.

makes sense and I see your point..I see a lot of advantage and great reviews for the PP, not sure I could go wrong! Yhanks for your thoughts!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CS package just cosmetic? If you want to get a higher resale price later on you are better off with factory performance options like the PP and the active exhaust. Something else to consider is a popular color or a one year only color like mine. My advice, get a bullit mustang, it has the PP, active exhaust, exclusive color, wheels and badging. It also gets a 20 hp jump in HP over a regular GT.

From what I'm seeing, you are right that it is only an appearance package...only thing beyond GT base is 19 inch wheels. The Bullitt is spec'd out pretty awesome, and I've looked at it too. Great point and thanks!

It sounds like you may be up there in age like me, just be aware the bullitt only comes with a manual trans. If you can try to find one with the PP, the big brakes alone are worth the price of admission. You also get 3.55 or 3.73 gears (depending on trans choice) with a torsen mechanical geared posi unit, upgraded suspension, upgraded radiator and two more gauges on the center stack.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of the Ford Mustang. I have been a Mustang owner/fan since my first car was a 66 Coupe in High School. I ordered a 17 premium with PP. The new S550 Mustang is the best selling car in it's class in the USA and Europe. That means there are a LOT of them out there. I wouldn't count on any magic holding of their value. I did read the GT350 is holding it's value better than most. (meaning it is depreciating slower.) So get the Mustang YOU want.
Definitely get the PP option. If you are doing a 2019-2020 get at least the PP1 option if not the PP2. I agree the Bullitt package is pretty cool and might be worth a tiny bit more in the future. Lots of after market parts as you know. Build it into what you want. Myself, I am modding my Mustang to make it a better car but also thinking about what some future owner might want to see. My current project this spring is to add the Steeda Stop the Hop rear suspension parts. There is an issue with the IRS rear suspension Steeda has parts to fix. I was going to add the GT350 rear spoiler but decided not to drill holes in my trunk lid. Doing mechanical things rather than cosmetic. I might add the side scoops and maybe the rear window louvres.