hi all. new to mustangs, but picked up 2011 5.0 GT

yasuro

Aug 4, 2010
i came from porsches, but wanted something more. really like the new V8 tech so after a test drive i traded in my 2001 911 for a 2011 5.0 GT Premium. i picked it up today.

hope to learn from this board as i'm a total newb and want to get to modding soon.

4861398211_811162bc35_b.jpg

4862019916_088c762284_b.jpg

4862020358_16baee09e1_b.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome i myself am new to the forum also but im waiting on my 2011 GT, i got about 4 more weeks to go until it arrives. You will enjoy the hell out of this car this is my fifth mustang ive had two 1990's one a lx 5.0 and the other a gt 5.0 which had 4.10's alot of fun lol a 2001 cobra and a 2004 GT. Loved everyone of them. enjoy i will post pics as soon as mine comes in.

....an '08 Bullitt. I love it and do not miss my flat six.

Welcome and have fun.

BTW, I'm 68 years old and have been through many P-cars and THIS car takes me back and brings a smile.

that was part of the reason i traded it in. i had increasing anxiety over the IMS bearing problem or D-chunk problem. did not really enjoy the idea of a $15-20k repair bill.

So how does the Mustang compare to the old 911? A few more months and vortech will probabaly have its blower kit ready, should be about all the mods youll need.

after putting on a few miles on the car i find myself intoxicated with the power. also a few highway ramps later, i find that the handling is pretty close to my old 911. i sit higher than on my 911 so that takes some getting used to, but the mustang still handles flat and level. very impressive. also the mustang is only 200 lbs heavier than my old 2001 911 C4, which is quite an achievement and it shows in the handling.

clutch is VERY light. lighter than my brother's 2009 G37S even. the porsche clutch is VERY heavy. almost truck like, so the mustang's clutch is a surprise. it takes some getting used to.

the shifter is awesome! it might even be shorter than my 911 with B&M short shift kit.

interior fit and finish is very nice. ford, wisely, spent money where they needed to in order to keep even owners like me from getting too nit-picky. love the leather seats and solid feel of most of the buttons and dials. only "cheap" part was the arm rest compartment. the button is pretty cheap feeling.

rear camera is a very nice touch. it was a weird option, or so i thought, then i backed out of my garage and really appreciated the utility. the system is almost identical to my mother's 2009 lexus RX.

i guess this turned into a mini review, but to sum it all up, in just about every way, the 2011 GT is a winner. handles nearly as well as my old car, much more power and at the right RPMs, shifter is a joy, car feels so stiff and planted.

what i really can't get over is the price. list was ~$39k and i qualify for X plan so i got it for less than that and then the dealer worked harder to get it lower than even that! all that performance for that price. amazing.

i can't say enough about the dealer experience. better than the porsche buying experience i can assure you. i'm young looking and porsche sales people wouldn't even give me the time of the day and i had to flag one down so i could buy the car when i bought my 911.

the ford salesperson was just a car guy, not a poseur. loves his mustangs and it showed. no BS on the sales process. tested the car, got price for my trade, went to my credit union, came back with check and done! no surprises.

Congrats!

I went to that dealer today to test drive a coupe stick, but they didn't have one. I know one salesman, but my one friend has been buying cars there for decades. He would probably say "take your car to Clive." He's got the desk on the end of the service bay I think.

I think you'll do just fine at that dealership. :)