Hi - new member

Just thought I should post up and say hi and of course do a little showing off.

I am the new proud owner of a 2007 Mustang V6 convertible. Its something I wanted ever since the new S197's came out. My very first car out of high school was a '65 coupe with a 6-cylinder and automatic. My dad would not let me get a 289 with 4-speed (what I really wanted) for fear I would kill myself with it. I drove that car for two years, freshman and soph years of college, and have always missed it! It was that blue/green color, had no a/c and had black seats. Not the best combo for the Arizona heat, but I didn't care as it was all mine.

My '92 Volvo wagon that I was driving as my daily driver was approaching 155K miles and the transmission was starting to give me troubles. I had put over $19,800 in repairs into it over the 7 years and 100k miles that I had owned it. Once I figured up the cost of ownership and the fact it seemed to spend more time at the mechanics garage instead of in mine, I wanted to trade it in. With the Ford X-Plan savings I got thru work it simply made sense to do it.

Of course my 12-year old daughter thinks this car will be hers in 4 years when she starts driving. I'm thinking NOT! I am having way too much fun in it.

Somethings I am interested in doing to the car is to put in a strut brace as I notice there is cowl shake going over bumpy roads, and a cold air intake to improve engine response. As I'm not sure I want to make this thing too hot a car since there is a possiblity that the daughter will be driving it in the future, I'm trying to keep it mild. Also trying to keep the cost of insurance down.

I look forward to reading how I can enjoy the Stang even more. Anyone have a recommendations on clubs, pro or con, in the Phoenix area? How about a shop that will be good for Stang improvements.

Thanks,
Scramblin_Jim

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet Jim. You will find the cost of ownership far less than the Volvo. Nice cars, but costly when a door lock/window actuator runs almost a $1,000. :( Enjoy the Stang. I had a torch red six, loved it!

You may want to check out the local forums for the question about local clubs.

Welcome Scramblin_Jim and congrats on your new Stang:nice: There is a V6 Forum on here that I'm sure will have you reading for days on end. Arizona with no ac can't be that bad..."it's a dry heat", "it's not the heat...it's the humidity":rlaugh:. Living up here in VA, no ac will turn a great day very ugly very quickly for 3 or 4 months of the year("it's only 86...with 94% humidity...":( I know the feeling of wanting a S197. The day I saw the concept car, "I gotta have me one of those!!!!!" 3 years later I was able to get one:D These new V6's have as much(or very close to it)power as the GT's of the late 80's early 90's FOX era! The tuner will do alot more for engine response than the CAI will, the tuner/CAI package make a very nice improvement for the money.
Enjoy and great to have you aboard :SNSign:

Welcome to Stangnet Jim. You will find the cost of ownership far less than the Volvo. Nice cars, but costly when a door lock/window actuator runs almost a $1,000. :( Enjoy the Stang. I had a torch red six, loved it!

You may want to check out the local forums for the question about local clubs.

Repairs maybe. But that's offset by your never ending quest for the next mod :nice:

Welcome aboard!

I could easily see myself spending half on mods for my car as I purchased it for given I had more "play" money... I'm a few $s shy of $4K already(just over $600 in labor)and I have just over $4K(all cosmetic except for the Roush suspension package)more planned and that isn't including any internal engine work or possible F/I!!!!!

Tell me about it. We've got about $10k in the '05, and it's only got bolt-ons, and I'm already up to $2k in the '07, and it's only 2 months old. Owning Mustangs is expensive, if you allow it to be.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am all to familar with spending money on cars! Last August I purchased a '83 Jeep Scrambler on eBay and had it shipped out to me from Indiana. With Jeeps and I am sure with Stangs, if you let them, they can become a money pit for all kinds of wonderful things to upgrade into. However with my CJ-8, its been more of a restoration just to get it to be reliably driver both on and offroad. I know I have well over $4K into it and have hardly started making improvements. That was one reason for getting rid of the Volvo, its repairs were taking $$$ away from the Jeep improvements!

Tell me about it. We've got about $10k in the '05, and it's only got bolt-ons, and I'm already up to $2k in the '07, and it's only 2 months old. Owning Mustangs is expensive, if you allow it to be.

I think we should start a new thread called "The How Much Money Have You Sunk Into your Mustang?". :jaw:

It would be neat to see everyone's mod list and how much they have dropped in parts and labor.
Personally I have about
$2000 in paint
$1000 in Hoods and Bumpers
$300 in a Short Throw
$1750 in Exhaust, Hpipe, tuner and intake (plus install and dyno)
$150 for grille and emblems.
So I'm upto $5 grand and I still don't have my wheels!