HIding wires! Can I use industrial strength velcro to attach my TFI Heat sink?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Ok, so I am iding wires. Ca I use ind strength velcro to attach the heat sinkto the inner fenderwell plastic liner to hide it?..OR do heat sinks HAVE to be attached to metal?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, plastic doesn't conduct heat NEAR as much as metal, so velcro'ing a heat sink would probably defeat the purpose of putting on the heat sink in the first place.

Also, the point of a heat sink is to Draw heat away from what your attaching it to, plastic doesn't get very hot, if it did, it'd melt. So attaching a heat sink to plastic seems pointless.

Then again i'm a computer technician who knows just a little about cars, so my input is more heavily derived from my foundation of computer education rather than automotive. Either way, with heat sinks, the same principles should apply.

Hope I helped

-Will

Well, plastic doesn't conduct heat NEAR as much as metal, so velcro'ing a heat sink would probably defeat the purpose of putting on the heat sink in the first place.

Also, the point of a heat sink is to Draw heat away from what your attaching it to, plastic doesn't get very hot, if it did, it'd melt. So attaching a heat sink to plastic seems pointless.

Good point but I believe he's moving the module inside the fender which will reduce the temperature that is exposed to. I would still keep the TFI in the heat sink though. I ran my car one time with the TFI out of the heat sink and in the engine compartment and the car barely ran when it got hot.

Good point but I believe he's moving the module inside the fender which will reduce the temperature that is exposed to. I would still keep the TFI in the heat sink though. I ran my car one time with the TFI out of the heat sink and in the engine compartment and the car barely ran when it got hot.

I see, also good point about the ground wire.

The TFI's critical temp is ~257*F, and after the issues with the fox TFI's (Why ours are remotely located), I'd really try to heat sink the crap out of it. They also don't like a ton of vibration (a concern with velcro IMHO). You could use an intermediate mounting plank (metal) between the heat sink and fender if it helps (to deal with a round contour, etc).

As an aside, I'm going to attach a little fan on mine (in it's OEM spot) to help wick away heat.

Good luck.

I ended up putting it in the fenderwell just like Dan's car. It is tight in one spot against the fender liner and the other wiring pushes the fender liner out a bit but it works just fine.

Just remember that the TFI grounds to the heat shink which ground to the fender. So if you're attaching it with velcro (which will work), you'll need to run a ground wire.

I ziptied mine to the frame today. The whole time I was wondering if the TFI grounded through the sheet metal since it's pretty much the only thing BOLTED to the inner fenders. Anywho, glad I read this. I guess I'll have to ground it somehow.