High-flow cat X-pipe or O/R?

uhoh5.0

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Montgomery, AL
I ordered my O/R UPR X yesterday and it will be here tomorrow! I was totally stoked, but after talking to one of my friends today I'm not sure if I should have ordered the high-flow catted version. Is it true that the catted version lets you keep more of your bottom end and the raspyness and popping is less? Why does anyone buy the catted version other than for emission reasons? And what gives the most horsepower? I know you need some backpressure though, I have welded in flowmaster super 40s too. Should I just install the O/R x or send it back and buy a catted version (no inspection where I'm at though)??????????????

• Sponsors (?)

Too bad you should have got a Bassani X pipe instead
but, Congrats.The only reason why people get the catted version is so, they will pass inspection and a
smog test because you will fail without cats period.
I must say Flowmaster's sound really good but, they are
a chambered mufflers and they don't flow as good as a
straight through designed muffler.If you are looking for a
mufflers that gives the most horsepower than you should
look into getting Magnaflow or Dynomax.

I would keep the O/R X, you dont loose any bottom end or if you do its not enought to feel. The raspy sound is what the X is know for its more of a NASCAR sound. Where as the H is a deeper rumble. You do make a few more horses than a catted plus it louder. I love my O/R X, you made teh right choice.

O/R FTW!

you dont NEED backpressure.. you need exhaust gas velocity, backpressure just happens to be a side effect. btu keep the offroad pipe and be ready for some crackly stuff... another guy here in SC has a 04 GT w/ a OR X and 40s and it sounds fairly good but it has a LOT of crack to it. thats why i went w/ a prochamber... just to get rid of the crack.

The high flow cats do flow rather well and will give you a slight low end torque bump at the expense of a slight loss in peak HP but not enough to notice or be concerned about, if you ordered the o/r pipe, then I'd say relax and enjoy the new found HP :nice:

I have the UPR O/R Xpipe with the Flowmaster 2 chambers. It sounds awesome Bro, trust me. I get compiments all the time and people constantly turn around and look. It's not as raspy as people think. I love mine. You're not too far from Atlanta, you ought to come by and see it or I could possibly meet you half way so that you can hear it, but you'll probably already have your owns by then...:D

I want to add cats to my bassani off road x also. I cant stand the crackle sound, but other than that it sounds good, but a bit too loud for my taste. My old gt with flows and a bassani catted x sounded perfect except I hated the drone from the flows. Thats why I went with magnaflows this time around on the cobra. They sounded way better imo than the flows until I added the o/r x pipe.I need cats bad. Hopefully they quiet it down a bit, or at least get rid of the crackle. Plus I need to pass emissions soon.

Well, I sent back the O/R X-Pipe and ordered UPR's version with high-flow cats. I think in the long run I'll be much happier. No snap crackle pop, no smelll of unburnt fuel, and no headaches from the noise. Plus, it only cost $18.00 to ship it back. Not too bad, huh!:nice: