High Flow cats on stock Hpipe

whyask

Apr 4, 2005
Sacramento
I live in california. You think a shop will install them.?? I love the sound of an H but I need my cats so I got some High Flow cats from pypes and I sold my catted X. Thinking mayby I can just replace the stock ones with the new HF cats. What'll yall think ..??

-Justin

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt you'll see a noticable gain with just high flow cats. I'd spend your money else where. If your worried about emissions then what about some JBA Cat4Ward Headers?

that would be nice but the cats are only 150, labor will cost me only 60 so for 210 its better for me. Plus I had a SLP catted Xpipe already didnt like it. I just love the sound of an H. Im just curious if it can be done in cali. I.E replacing the cats. And you wont see gains really in that area anyway unless you go longtubes !

I'm not sure of the hp/tq gains of the JBA Cat4Ward headers. I know they are an equal length shorty header so I figured they might be good for 10rwhp... I just don't see why you would want high flow cats if its not going to make a difference.

Just for the sound ! I got rid of my SLP loud mouths and catted X and I put my stock H back on and got the MID MUFFLER setup. I love the 60's style sound that the mid muffler setup gives and with living in cali Ive actualy had cops pull me over and LOOK under my car for cats ! hence the reason for Highflow cats on the stock pipe. ;)
Mayby even gut the cats HOW DO YOU DO THAT ..??

You might be better off cutting the X out of the SLP pipe and putting an H there. Not sure.

If you wanna gut the cats, just take the H pipe off, find something that will reach into the end, and hammer the **** out of the substrate. Once it beaks enough, most of it should come out. But you might have chunks of it fly though the exhaust every once and a while.

HAHAHA that would be great
*driving along . so officer why did i get pulled over, YOUR CATS flew out of your exhaust and hit my car*

I think I might just get the off road H-pipe and deal with it ! How often do you have a smog a new car now..??? I got the car last year NOV.

When I was younger I bought an O/R X-pipe and two cheap cats. One weekend when my parents were away I took the X pipe and the two cats into the basement along with a Dremel and about 10,000 cutting blades. I put gloves on and my race helmet and started cutting away. Several hours, 2 trips to Lowe's, and 100,000 cutting blades later, I had gutted the cats, sliced them open, wrapped them around the X pipe and JB welded them back together. :lol::rlaugh:

It worked for about 3 months and then the JB weld split and they opened up and just kind of slid around. :notnice:

If I had access to a welder it would have been golden. :nice::D

Sure it can be done if you find a shop willing. The law says your not to remove a functioning cat. Even though you are replacing it with a cat, some shops are finiky about the law.

Sure it can be done if you find a shop willing. The law says your not to remove a functioning cat. Even though you are replacing it with a cat, some shops are finiky about the law.

Yeah. I don't condone that kind of action these days. When I was 17... whatever. But now that I'm all grown up and mature... :rlaugh:

But really, I tried to get my local Mustang shop to do it for me and they wouldn't. They just told me to get a catted pipe, which would be louder and better than stock, but legal. At least in my state, anyways.

HAHAHA that would be great
*driving along . so officer why did i get pulled over, YOUR CATS flew out of your exhaust and hit my car*

I think I might just get the off road H-pipe and deal with it ! How often do you have a smog a new car now..??? I got the car last year NOV.

It varies state by state. In IL they do it every 2 years after the car is I think 3 years old. But I can pass IL smog without cats. They don't check anything, they just run the OBD2 test, and one monitor is allowed to be not ready, so with the rear 02s turned off it will pass just fine.

But it may be different in CA. I heard that cops there have mirrors on sticks and actually check that **** when you get pulled over.

Hey uh.. I hate to be the nerd here, but catalytic converters are actually a good thing for everyone involved. While you might think one car wont make a difference, the massive amounts of smog you see everyday is caused by the very few cars on the road that do not meet emissions. One or two cars without cats are all it takes to ruin the air for a lot of people. There is a reason it is illegal to remove cats, they actually make life better for yourself and your neighbor. Considering it is just a modest gain in HP or noise your looking for, may as well keep the cats, and keep the clean air. What about this one?

MRT 304SS Catted H-pipe 05-07

only 2. Not 6 like an older mustang.

Greydiesel, that is actually debatable. Yes cats do good, but they also do harm. So it's a which one's worse type deal. Without the cat, the car puts out hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide, and nox, which cause smog and are potentially harmful to people. With the cat, it puts out c02, which is the gas that is causing the supposed global warming. That's why they are actually considering phasing OUT cats, or at least finding a different type of catalyst. But just for the record, I think the co, nox, and HC are worse than c02, at least in my opinion.

They will never phase out CATS, They may change them but there will always be something.

To shed a little light on teh thought...

CO2 is good for the trees and plants, they in turn use it to make oxygen, Which is good for PEOPLE! Try breathing your smog air, when half of the plant life is dying off reducing, the amount of oxygen in the air to start with. And with the increased smog conditions the amount of sunlight the remaining plants will need will be dimished so they in turn will die off also.
But look at the brightside all that unburnt fuel floating around in the air migth improve gas milage and fuel prices might drop a little. However Cars will be running to rich because there won't be any clean air to even mix with the fuel to burn, and cars will eventually not work at all. Unless we develope a way to use the "smog" as fuel then we won't have to put gas in the cars because instead we now have "oxygen" or "clean air" tanks we need to fill up instead. And gas stations will resort to selling "clean air and bottled water". because neither will exist anymore because we decided to remove Catalytic converters off our cars.

Just a thought.

Agreed. CO2 is not a major concern like NOx, CO, and HCs. A world without cats would be like Bejing, pre-olympic-air-cleaning (even after, the air was not all that clean). While a world with more CO2 could mean anything from more plants, to mass chaos and total destruction. (The later would be the party line of the global warming "sky is falling" crowd). I personally think more CO2 will just result in more and bigger plants. There have been studies that show an increase in world plant growth that tracks the increase in world CO2 emissions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3577031.stm

CO2 is clearly a charged issue, but I think we can all agree smog is by far the worst of the two. After-all, CO2 is coming out of your nose right now! Whereas, you would die if CO levels were too high near your nose right now. These issues were debated in the 70s, and we came up with some pretty good solutions (cats), there is no reason to go back and beat a dead horse.