High Flow Cats VS Stock OEM Cats

HEAVYGT

Sep 14, 2006
Elgin, IL.
Anybody have any real info on Stock OEM cats vs say a Bassani high flow cats. I have heard some say the stock cats are pretty free flowing and also have read just the opposite that they are very restrictive. So I am confused. I am looking to get the Bassani SS X pipe with high flow cats. Currently have FRPP headers stock H and SLP LM's. I am hoping the x pipe and high flow cats give me a little bit louder even more agressive sound. Any thoughts from any one? Thanks.

Here's what I am looking to get...
bxx46053s.jpg

Attachments

• bxx46053s.jpg
    bxx46053s.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Sponsors (?)

I looked at the exhaust system up close while it was on the lift getting the Flows on. It looks very well designed and not restrictive at all. The stock H pipe looks pretty much like most of the aftermarket ones. It has to be a decent system since the aftermarket mufflers don't do much as far as power goes over the stock mufflers. Interesting to read how many have aftermarket headers and midpipes and using stock mufflers on the S197s.I went with the O/R H due to we don't have emissions yet where I live. I would keep the stock H pipe and put that money towards something else.

I have slp loudmouths and I just installed a slp x pipe with high flow cats. They feel like they gave a small but hardly noticeable gain, about the same as when I put on my UDPs. However the sound is AWSOME!! It didnt really raise the tone too much in fact at idle it still sounds like the stock h with LMs, only LOUDER!!! But when you get on it it's a whole different animal of a sound.

I have slp loudmouths and I just installed a slp x pipe with high flow cats. They feel like they gave a small but hardly noticeable gain, about the same as when I put on my UDPs. However the sound is AWSOME!! It didnt really raise the tone too much in fact at idle it still sounds like the stock h with LMs, only LOUDER!!! But when you get on it it's a whole different animal of a sound.

Thanks Rhino....thats what I kinda figured when it came to performance...I will order it anyway so I can pull the cats when I go to the track. Can't wait to hear the difference. Thanks!!! :nice:

I install the Bassini catted x-pipe, it sounds great with the Roush catback. It certainly added a bolder tone, the stock cats are good for factory but the hiflows make it sound better. I base line the car last summer but since I've also added a C&L Racer kit my new dyno numbers won't be a true comparison. I will have it on the dyno next month.

+1.......

The Bassani cats are relatively easy to see thru and are much smaller than the factory cats. Between the Bassani catted X compared to the Pypes offroad H, the Bassani feels like it has more lowend pull, while the offroad H feels like it revs faster on the topend.

FWIW, I gained 8 hp and about the same tq when I added the offroad H; I never dynoed after the Bassani X but I would think its relatively close in performance.

Tom,

How does the bassani catted x pipe sound with the Borla catback system? I currently have the bassani axle back system with the stock h pipe. I am looking to add a little more power and sound with an x pipe but don't want it to be obnoxious sounding at idle or cruising speeds. What are you thoughts on your bassani x pipe set up?