High flow cats

dankushead

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
I just installed some long tubes, and x-pipe, can my car pass smog if I were to put 4 high flow cats on. I figure I have to put them on to avoid getting any fines if pulled over, although that is my main concern because smog isnt due anytime soon. I was probably just going to put 2 of them on there for now, any advice ?? I live in Caliornia

• Sponsors (?)

it might pass tailpipe, however it will fail visual. all long tubes are illegal in CA. if you are pulled over by the police, and they look, they can cite you for modified emissions, and you will have to take the long tubes off and return to stock. also, only stock cats are legal on 4.6L stangs in CA.

I'm so glad I don't live in CA. You can't have any fun with cars there. Anyway, my advice is to move (j/k), because you're probably going to end up having to change it all back to stock. Either that, or turn your stang into a track-only car.

where do you live?

They did something terrible in Redwood City (south of San Fran) 2 months ago...

Smog Check Point!! :eek: on one of the main streets. I wasnt there at the time, but i live nearby and its always in the back of my mind now...

Apparently cops set up a checkpoint and were stopping all cars that looked modified and administering smog tests on the spot....not quite sure exactly how they were testing tho. Can they 'legally' do this? :scratch:

Yeah they have been doing random smog check for five years in socal but now they are up here too. I live in modesto and I have seen them three times. They dont pull over modified cars, they pull over the first that comes by after the car they have on there is done. Long tubes wont pass for sure but if you get some shorttubes there are high flow cats that are obdII certified