High Rpm In Park

TannerWolf

Jun 21, 2017
I'm having a huge problem with my "II" when it's in park it idles about 2000 rpm to 2200 rpm but when i put it in drive it drops down to 1500 rpm --someone help --Also in new to this so I'm Tanner and i have a 1978 Mustang II and i'm a sixteen year old!

Attachments

• BA742A58-7C5C-481E-88C4-34450AC9FA57.JPG
    BA742A58-7C5C-481E-88C4-34450AC9FA57.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi Tanner, I'm Joe and I also had a II when I was 16 a LONG time ago. And yours looks much nicer. Do you have a manual or electric choke on the carburetor? If an electric choke isn't operating properly, the car won't idle down (take off the air cleaner and see if the choke is opening as the car warms up). Also check for binding in the throttle linkage.

Hi Tanner, I'm Joe and I also had a II when I was 16 a LONG time ago. And yours looks much nicer. Do you have a manual or electric choke on the carburetor? If an electric choke isn't operating properly, the car won't idle down (take off the air cleaner and see if the choke is opening as the car warms up). Also check for binding in the throttle linkage.
There is a electric choke i believe but it doesn't throttle down till it put it into drive it stays open from start until i put it into gear

It sounds to me that your electric choke isn't functioning. Until it opens, it won't let the car idle down from the "fast idle cam" that the carburetor linkage sits on. That's pretty common - sometimes the wire (or tube) that heats up the choke element is missing / no voltage to it. Or it may be that you need a new choke cap (or just an adjustment). You can loosen the 3 screws that hold the choke cap to the carburetor and adjust it by rotating it until the choke plate is fully open.