High Speed Vibrations

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
What is the cause/fix for this?

My car has 4.10's and I recently was able to let it run well into the triple didgets before I let off due to some fairly fierce vibrations that started to kick up.

Definatly feels like its in the driveshaft, so I assume since I am running 4.10's and it is spinning MUCH faster now that it just cant keep in balance at that speed.

Also, the dogbone is gone from my rear end. It nearly fell off on the highway so I yanked it and never replaced it. Culprit?

Any special fix? Aluminum driveshaft is what I most commonly see.

I dont normally plan on driving that fast, nor do I often do that, but Id like to know its safe to do so if and when I do. Id never let off because I was concerned my car was going to come apart...:eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Definatly feels like its in the driveshaft, so I assume since I am running 4.10's and it is spinning MUCH faster now that it just cant keep in balance at that speed...Aluminum driveshaft is what I most commonly see.

Your probably right, but first rule out the possibility of out-of-balance tires.

If it's not the tires, then maybe it's time for the ol' aluminum driveshaft mod. :D :nice:

The tires play a very slight role, as one rim is SLIGHTLY bent, but there is a clear difference between that feeling and the one that I noticed last night.

You can seperate the two at the time its happening basically.

I figured the old aluminum DS would come into play.

Might as well do a lightweight flywheel too when clutch time gets here, lighten up the amount of rotational force even more.

Remember when aluminum driveshafts were $150? :(

Yep.

Remember when gas was $1.50? ...:(

I was going to say just that! For a cheap fix/test, I would re-install the dogbone and see if it helps. If not, then it's aluminum driveshaft time!

Id do that but it mangled its mounting point when it decided to snap a bolt and thrash around between the rear end and the highway, lol. Not a fun time trying to figure out what was going on... I may be able to rig it back on though to see.