Higher octane gas on Coyote 5.0

Lordstout

Jul 20, 2011
Anybody know if you get any performance benefit from running higher than 93 octane gas on the new Coyote 5.0s? I know there's a benefit between running 87 and 91/93, but if I top off with 1/4 tank of 105, would it be worth it? Just curious, going to the track tonight for test/tune.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford specifies the use of 91 octane for the new 5.0. If your car is stock, or only has minor modifications, you will just waste your money by using 105 octane in it.
Using higher than needed octane may even make it run worse, the most common side effect being hard starts. This applies to all cars, not just the new 5.0 Coyote equipped Mustangs.

Over Drive Band Broken

hey guys i have a 95 v6 3.8l with and AODE transmission and the over drive band is broken i turn the over drive off and drive it can that hurt the car in anyway? is there any problems that can be caused by a broken overdrive? basicly what im trying to say is will driving with a broken overdrive band hurt anything on my car? please please please let me know guys this is very important

Just so there is no confusion it should be stated that the octane of the gas by itself does nothing to increase or decrease power. When running lower than recommended octane the engine will be prone to experiencing detonation. When detonation occurs the computer retards the ignition timing which in turn will reduce the power output of the engine.
I'm not sure where the 10 horsepower number came from, I'd expect more of a loss than that myself.

I would run the lowest octane I could get away with. Lower octane = more volatile, so more power for the given rating. Yes, if you run 93, you could potentially make more power, if you can take advantage of it.

Just so there is no confusion it should be stated that the octane of the gas by itself does nothing to increase or decrease power. When running lower than recommended octane the engine will be prone to experiencing detonation. When detonation occurs the computer retards the ignition timing which in turn will reduce the power output of the engine.
I'm not sure where the 10 horsepower number came from, I'd expect more of a loss than that myself.

2012 Ford Mustang | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com

you sound a bit confused of the numbers that are spoken of, let me save you some time on your research. This is where the 10hp comes from that we speak of 402 hp on reg, and 412 on prem, but hey who knows you may know more than the ford.com engine spec page :D

Confused - no. Just haven't heard that about the 5.0 before.
Interesting, I have not seen that before. I had only seen this page: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

It looks like Ford has tweaked some things on the 2012 vs. the 2011 Mustang GT.

Possibly, there isn't many differents between the two. The 2011 is pretty much the safe car....My guess would be is someone actually dyno'd it, and complained because they didn't get the results ford advertised because the mustang doesn't recommend any fuel, it just says no E85. That would be my guess on why they added that to the page, but once again that's only me speculating on the issue (too many sue happy americans now adays over retarded (sorry if that word affends anyone :()junk to try and make a quick dime)

Allow me to further unconfuse the situation with the below link. You can see in my signature that I have done a base line on my car and it shows what I got on 87 octane. This was done on a load bearing dyno so the numbers may appear to be low compared to others but, if you do the math and add the standard 15%, it will show that it translates into 406BHp/418lbft. The base dyno was done with car car completely stock, no mods.

You may find the article an interesting read if you haven't seen it before. It tells pretty much the story behind the 5.0.:nice:

2011 Mustang GT Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords