Hill Assist - Useful Or Not?

Jim Bronson

Aug 8, 2016
I'll be picking up my GT in a few days. It has a manual transmission. I'm just wondering whether most of you use the hill assist feature. I guess I'll try it and see if I can get used to it, but I've never had a car with this feature.

• Sponsors(?)

dnbonds

Dec 17, 2013
Hampton, VA
The hill assist helps to keep the car from rolling backwards on a hill. But only for a few seconds. I still give it extra gas to get it going though

Jim Bronson

Aug 8, 2016
I guess my only concern would be if you're quicker than the system, then does it keep the brakes applied anyway? I don't guess it would matter much, since we're talking probably less than one second. I'll be getting a lot of practice since I live on a pretty steep hill. Should be fun.

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Hill assist works pretty good. It's one of those things I never needed, but now that I have it, I like it. I've driven several cars with it (including the new Mustangs), and of all things, my automatic F150 has it (which came in handy leaving work for the past year and a half).

15GTrob

Advanced Member
Aug 23, 2015
Its a cool feature. It works pretty well. I live in FL though so I've barely used it.

Jim Bronson

Aug 8, 2016
I picked up the car on Friday, and I've had an opportunity to try it several times, including on my steep driveway. It works great.

clsinclair

Sep 10, 2018
Lancaster, SC
I don't use one on my Mustang but she likes the high octane feed. For a while I did have a anti roll back on my Mustang to keep her from raring up.................Oh, you meant my car! I don't use it since I never had it on any of my cars before and I like to get off the start fairly quick at times. But if I was not accustomed to a clutch then I would use it.

ravenofpoe

Jun 23, 2019
Clackamas or
For those who turn it off. It disengages as the car starts moving forward. If you left it on, the only difference is that you can’t purposely roll back to scare people crawling up your backside on a hill.