Hmm.. 5.0 to 2.3 turbo?

Hey guys, this is my first time venturing into this forum and I've been reading a bit around here. This has probably been brought up before.. I doubt the swap is difficult, but I'm curious if it's recommended.

The motor in my '91 isn't doing so hot, and I was going to replace it with another in the spring. I can get a 5L motor, complete with probably fairly high mileage 160k km's or so for around 500 CDN. But from the same place I can probably get a decent 2.3 turbo as well.

The car's being built up for road racing, I'm still in the process of buying all my suspension parts and I'm redoing the brakes over the winter. Any opinions on this project? It seems that if I can make as much or more power than a stock 5L (since I wasn't going to do too much work to the 5.0) and have a lot less weight in the front, that would be ideal for road racing.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you could pretty easily make the same or more hp as a stock 5.0. The things you need to consider is if the precautions you need to take to keep the engine alive under sustained boost and such (better cooling system, etc.) is worth the 100 or so pounds you will save...

Yeah I don't have specifics, but I think the 2.3 is more like 200-300lbs lighter... evintho's numbers seems to support that as a complete 5.0L is in the 565lb range (with water pump alt etc)

Then add in the turbo + manifold, piping etc. It adds up. Now if you put a tubular header on it , a fairly moderate turbo, and aluminum head and a tubular k memeber/controll arms... Sure we are talking ALOT lighter ;)