Holy header headaches Batman!

I've been scouring the history on header's and it seems that they are a very tricky thing to have installed. But I want to ask a question:

If you could redo your headers on (a 302 MII) what would you do differently? :scratch: What brand/model would you buy, being practical of course? What additional componants/processes are needed for the installation of that particular header?

BTW I'm also interested in the details of any problems encountered during installation of your headers

BTW to make this even more fun for me, I have a Maverick 302 in my beast :crazy: :puke: so if anyone has some specific experience with this, insight is verrry much appreciated. Don't let this discourage any feedback on the general problem for the benefit of other viewers.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't do anything different. I have the Hooker 6120's, fit perfectly! Bought them un coated so I could make sure I didn't need any modifications then sent them off Jet Hot. Used the stainless band clamps to connect to my exhaust.

I've owned two sets and both have fit perfectly, and I do have the T-5 conversion using the II bell.

Dave

headers

I actually do not know which headers I have on my MII. I had bought the car with them and after re-building the car I am still using them. I needed no modifications to install them. No cuts in inner fender wells or anything. It is a very very tight fit though. But I did need to put them in while installing the motor and trans all at the same time. It went in sooo smooth. Actually probably the easiest install I've ever had. My guess is they are Hooker headers. Seems to be the most common on the MII's.

Try some 5.0 fox body shorties!!! With a little bending they should go in. I had the hedman longtube 1.5 primary headers and they were a pain in the butt to put in. Plus you out grow the 1.5 primary real fast when you change cylinder heads or start to get serious with your motor!.

So both the Hooker headers and the Dynomax have the same primaries? I wanted to switch to Hooker headers so that I could get a little more flow. I do know that I had a heck of a time finding smaller header gaskets so that the dynomax headers would seal up. I think I ended up using a heavy duty mr. gasket that had the small opening. It sucks though cause my heads are ported out to fit a fel-pro 1415 gasket. I'm choking it up quite a bit. Any ideas? I thought of just putting manifolds on that have been extrude honed.

I would go to a front motor plate and do away with the motor mounts, then getting headers to fit would be no problem... I did read in a magazine a long time ago about headers and what would make the most hp and torque. They tried all sorts of headers on a 400 hp 302, and a set of headman headers with 1 1/2 primary tubes made the most power, and torque. Strange huh

With regard to HP it's all gas velocity which is a combination of displacement + RPM's = air flow.......bigger isn't always better. [efficiency enters into it also]

77CobraII .... try no exhaust gasket!! just apply a ring of "High Temp" sealant on the header, reinstall and let sit for 8-12 hours.
I've used this technique a couple of time with great success.

Have a good one :spot:

Later

Bad Animal said:
Try some 5.0 fox body shorties!!! With a little bending they should go in.

Not even close.

Been there, done that, didn't work.

As to the original question, the regular II headers should fit, as long as the bellhousing isn't off the Maverick.

Just bought a parts car that had Hedmans in it with a T-bird bell. They actually got them in, but tubes 2&3 were smashed nearly closed :rolleyes:

THE COBRAMAN said:
Not even close.

Been there, done that, didn't work.

As to the original question, the regular II headers should fit, as long as the bellhousing isn't off the Maverick.

Just bought a parts car that had Hedmans in it with a T-bird bell. They actually got them in, but tubes 2&3 were smashed nearly closed :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Not sure where the bell came from. Is there a way to tell?

Everybody wants bigger tubes......right? Bigger is better...wroooong
If you want some interesting reading pick up the May issue of
5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords.
They ran a series of tests, on shorties and long tube.
Their test engine was a 347 [15% larger than 302].
Their header sizes were 1.63 [17% larger than 1.5in] and
1.75 [16% larger].
Its like I said earlier engine horsepower in the area of exhaust
is based on the ability to scavge and that means an exhaust velocity in the vacinity of 300fps [feet-per-second].
The largest gain was long tubes in the lower RPM range, everywhere
else the hp diff from one to the other was 1 or 2 hp.

Later guys :spot: