Home-made subframe connectors

• Sponsors (?)

well he could save 95 dollars by not doing that so why not. there is a ford performance book that has everything related to the mustangs suspension that you can get for making your own everything. you might want to pick it up for a lot of custom projects.

Yeah i'm on a tight budget. I just spent about a grand on some motor parts and i wanted to do some cheap stuff for the handling so it doesn't feel like i am driving a granny car. I got all kinds of steel that a friend mooched from a fabricating place he works at. I also planned on making a strut tower brace.

drgn5.0 Would you happen to know the title of that book or where I could get it.

L8 MUSL said:
My only input would be to not do as I did and only weld them at the ends, run a bead the whole length.
Welcome to the cheap bastard go fast club.

I definitely second this..... the full-length weld part that is. I don't know about the cheap bastard part. I mean come on, I know my dad :rlaugh: Sorry. One other thing.... definitely pay attention to the part in that article about removing your carpet. Unless you like the smell of burnt capret and sound damper stuff. In that case, keep a fire extinguisher handy! :bang:

Matt

I made my own out of some 1"x2" x 1/8" tubing which is the same size a lot of the aftermarket ones are.I mocked up some 2"x2" ones and I didn't like the look of them hanging down.Only thing I can say is to make the seat supports as well as they strengthen the floorboards in that area and most designs call for a cut on opposite sides of the tube so that you can bend the connecters to match the offset of the factory frame.Instead of bending the connecters to the angles shown in the plans,make the two cuts on the opposite sides of the tube and bend the connecter to fit flat against your frame.Hold it in place and tack weld the angles and finish weld them elsewhere.The first one I made was exactly according to plans and it wouldn't fit flat on either side of my car.

Try these ones....:nice: They're from the William R. Mathis Chassis Mustang and Performance handbook 2, mentioned above. They have tons of schematics for everything from strut tower braces, to control arms, to 4-6-8 point cages. It's a good investment for the do it yourselfer with a welder
book12.gif

attachment.php

I made up my own set of cross-braces with a piece of 1" angle iron. Welded it in and they fit like a glove.