Homemade CAI

• Sponsors (?)

rockin_rick said:
Any more info on this hole that needs cut? Check out this pic of the fenderwell that needs cut. I've put 4 different colored lines on there that are possible cut locations. Which one is preferred? Maybe 2 cuts, like orange and green and then roll orange?

Rick

I did something like the red one and close to green but not that far. I didn't go all the way to the next whole either.

Jake

i went all the way to the little hold...and ill tell you that you most certainly do not need to go that far....feed the filter/MAF up through the inner fender and you will see you can get away with a smaller hole....

here is mine BTW....
edelbrock.jpg

Anthony

1105 said:
up's its cheaper, down's sometimes it doesnt look that good.

Go to home depot or lowes, get some 3" PVC pipe, and two 3" rubber Fernco pieces. Take off your filter and mass air meter, bolt the filter to the meeter, attach the meter to the PCV pipe with the Fernco piece, drill a hole for the air temp sensor, then put the other fernco piece on the other end to hold it to the TB.
I havent had my maf off in a while. How do you bolt the filter to the maf?

rockin_rick said:
Hey Andy, where did you get that mudflap? Where should I try to get one from?

Rick

Napa I believe...they're fairly large, I got them for my truck and never used em.. Make a cardboard template to get the fit right..then tranfer to the plastic and cut it out...

attachment.php

bjl95mustang said:
I havent had my maf off in a while. How do you bolt the filter to the maf?
I used setf tapping screws and held it on that way. Stick the filter on the MAF, put some dots where the holes are going to be, drill them out, and either use thoes self tapping screws or you can get some bolts and nuts to hold it in place. Be sure to put some RTV on it to make sure nothing gets by somehow.

*hey Rio where did you get the vynil FORD racing sticker for the intake?

*2nd they din't have a PVC 3" piping at my Home Depot, will a 3" JM pipe work as well?
*are the PVC pipes more air cold friendlier the the JM? or are they the same? :shrug:
*lenght wise, how long did you guys cut the PVC/JM pipe? (TB to the filter)

Road_Runna said:
*hey Rio where did you get the vynil FORD racing sticker for the intake?

*2nd they din't have a PVC 3" piping at my Home Depot, will a 3" JM pipe work as well?
*are the PVC pipes more air cold friendlier the the JM? or are they the same? :shrug:
*lenght wise, how long did you guys cut the PVC/JM pipe? (TB to the filter)

Get a tape measure, measure distance, and add some extra room to play with.

I didn't really feel anything from mine either, but it probably made a little difference at the track. The whistling I didn't get, but alot of other people have got that. I did when I had a MAC CAI on my 94 V6, but not on this car :shrug:

Jake

i did the yellow line.

i ran at the track did the mod... went back to the track... but with my tail pipes scut off. my MPH was exactly the same.

but it did seem to smooth out the part throttle and bottom end like 2-3K

RIO5.0 said:
This is assy'd...i use a 5/8" Speed-Bit to cut the IAT hole...It'll thread right in with this size...fits mint...I never did remount the oil fill tube...but i think i should be done???

iat_sensor_hole.jpg

Hey Andy, did you use a 5/8" SPADE bit? That's what it looks like in the pic. (Is it also known as a speed-bit??? I thought those were the stepped bits...)

Rick

Some call them spades, yes there one in the same...sometimes they say Speed-Bit on the package.....if you get one, get the one that has the little "tits" on the egdes for cutting...it makes a nice clean cut....you need no RTV or nada, just thread it in as is...works the balls...

On that hole...I had to cut quite abit out...my Maf is a big mother...

Thought it would be better to dig this up and just add to this near FAQ rather than start another thread...

Here's a couple pics of what I did. One is the actual cuts I made with a jigsaw and the other is what the full length Pro-M 80 looks like installed.

Rick

Attachments

• CAI cuts made.jpg
    CAI cuts made.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 144
  • CAI maf in hole.jpg
    CAI maf in hole.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 147
Here are a couple of pics of prototype #1 where I incorrectly located my IAT relative to the crankcase vent (aka PCV inlet). The oil splatter is directly across from the crankcase vent nearly hitting the IAT. I suggest moving the IAT as close to the MAF as possible to prevent it from getting contaminated with oil. Prototype #2 now incorporates that modification.

Rick

Attachments

• CAI IAT too close to crankcase vent.jpg
    CAI IAT too close to crankcase vent.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 130
  • CAI oil splatter near IAT.jpg
    CAI oil splatter near IAT.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 132