Homemade t5 clutch quadrant using a stock cable

jswelborn

Nov 8, 2008
I copied the arc of a stock 87 mustang quadrant, and made it out of steel. I had some coil spring scraps laying around, oddly enough they have the same arc as the stock quadrant. Just had to do a little cutting and welding. I did have to cut into the floor of the cowl a little to route the cable (still have to water proof this area)
DSCF2346.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

good times . . . I spent a couple of weeks on my falcon as it has a ton less space above the pedals.

welded a bolt and used a factory-dimensioned foxbody quadrant.

but good job man, it always feels good to ride out on stuff you made.

Thanks! I know what you mean about the Falcon... I have a 66 Falcon tried to make a cable work but gave up and did a hydraulic setup, no room at all above the pedals.

I've had a T5 in my 63 Falcon for 4 years, no problems with above pedal space. I did something similar to 57 Fairlane, just welded a bolt to the pivot point on the clutch pedal and mounted a foxbody aftermarket quadrant on it. Works just like the MustangSteve setup.
I like the homemade quadrant, great way to think outside the box. I would add more bracing underneath the quadrant.

Thanks! I know what you mean about the Falcon... I have a 66 Falcon tried to make a cable work but gave up and did a hydraulic setup, no room at all above the pedals.

lol . . . thats the exact car I did.

Cut out some of the cowl, threw the wiper motor away (never drove in the rain anyways), made a box because the quadrant sits so high, cut a hole and plumbed a hose because water can no longer go down the side when I washed it, welded outside/rtv'd a little inside.

It was a very time consuming project but I had little funds do to anything else, plenty of time and had the clutch cable stuff just sitting around.

When you look at it you notice the pinch weld is right where the bushing for the cable enters the cabin and you realize just how much less room there is over a mustang :D

Just a update for anyone fabbing up a cable clutch setup and wondering about pedal travel and clutch engagement. I got my drive line in and tested engagement, the fork needs to travel about 1" 1/8 forward to engage. With my homemade quadrant the pedal moved about 3/4s of the way to the floor before the clutch engaged. Hope this helps anybody doing a t5 and cable conversion.

I only get 3/4" of movement and no engagement with my steeda quadrant...which is o good, but its because of the limited space, I cant mount it higher on the pedal...I need to duplicate a setup like yours instead

It probably doesn't have to be as high as mine; The pedal will just be closer to the floor before the clutch engages. I copied Mustang Steve's basic setup and did a shaft bearing conversion which really tightened everything up. The clutch operation on my 64.5 is smoother then the clutch in my 99 Cobra.