Hood Aerodynamic Phenomenon

Sep 26, 2015
While driving my new V6 coupe in a moderate rainstorm the other day doing about 40 mph, I noticed the rainwater pooling up on the inside of each hood strake and shaking like a bowl of jello. There were two raised puddles that the airstream was causing to shimmy. My wife pointed it out just before I was about to point it out to her. When I slowed for a stop light, the puddles slid down the hood and over the edge. I've never seen anything like it.

• Sponsors (?)

I took the car out yesterday while it was raining with my trusty point and shoot camera on movie mode at the ready but the rain wasn't the right intensity. I got some small and medium size drops on the hood but they didn't coalesce into a puddle or monster water drop like last week. It'll happen again but I won't have my camera ready probably.

Thinking this phenomenon over, I noticed how well the rainwater beaded up during this drive. The beads seemed to be bigger than I'm used to seeing also and they rolled off that hood under braking like they were boosted with a reverse jetstream. The wax that the dealer used to prep the car for delivery must help create this visual effect. When I take the car in at the end of December for it's first oil change, I'll see if the service people can identify the brand they use.

Most of the dealers from what I've seen use Ardex products (I have friends in the detail business) It's great stuff just not easily accessible to the public :(