Hood Lock

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
What is everyone using to lock their classic Mustang's hood? Is there something that could be used that would require a key to be inserted below the grille?

My friends 65 fastback came with one of these on it. Has anyone used this. I know its not fool proof and maybe not the best way to do it, but it would provide some security and eliminate having to drill holes in the hood for hood pins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=110388090320

• Sponsors (?)

I used to use something similar many years ago without the starter interrupt. worked fine until one day the car was in the shop and someone locked it with the hood open. They tried to shut the hood and bent the catches. They then took it for a test drive and the hood flew open on the freeway.

Works good as long as you can control who touches it. Starter interrupt is probably a good feature also.

i used to run a bike lock around the hood latch. this works buts its bulky. It was a coated braided wire with a padlock. it worked well.

what about locking hood pins? i think they are weak so maybe if you use them witht he stock latch.

also the msd box has an idnition kill function. I have that with an electric fuel pump shut off.

I am using the Mr Gasket locking hood pins. I also have an ignition defeat switch "hidden in plain sight". I routed the ignition line thru the cig. lighter. Out the circuit is broken, pushed in and it starts. Pretty simple I know, but I was told by a cop friend of mine that if it takes longer than 5 seconds to try and start a car, 90% of theives will move on??? I also changed the wire colors from the switch into the loom and then out to the lighter, and back into the loom where I go back to the original color.

Stupid idea I'm sure, but if the theif tries to hotwire, it should take a few more trys than hopefully they are willing to check out?? :shrug:

Mine is luckily garaged, so 99% of the time, my huge dog will deter most scumbags. :nice:

Yeah 99 percent of the time I'm not worried about jerks messing with mine either.

I really don't want hood pins though. I just don't think my car would look good with them.

If I was to get hood pins those locking ones are what I would get though.

That cigarette lighter idea sounds kinda cool.

I got this idea from another website, have to find the link, it doesn't work on all years due to hood design, mine is a '67. It's a cabinet lock I bought at Lowes but i need to upgrade to a quality one from a locksmith shop as I can break it with the hood open by twisting the latch lever. Works well otherwise, I need to put an extension on the key so I don't have to stick my hand under the hood (sharp).
Jon

Attachments

• Hoodlock.jpg
    Hoodlock.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,717
I have a pin type lock that inserts into a fixed cylinder next to the latch, it engages a hole in the underside of the hood. my grandfather possibly made it or bought it a long time ago before he gave me the car. it works great, a lock shop could possibly duplicate it.

Attachments

• lock 1.JPG
    lock 1.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,955
  • lock 2.JPG
    lock 2.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,352