Hood pins? Should I do it?

Berserker...

It's just my oppinion not meant to stomp on anyones dreams or upset anyone ...

But hood pins have a real purpose (I posted that purpose) if your not using them for that purpose I think it's silly to have them... trust me your not going that fast on the street for enough of an extended period of time to warrant pinning your hood so why have them.. and I don't believe you need them to drive on a higway or side street.. If you did and hoods popping off were really a concern I think they would be required equipment on all cars for your safety but they aren't and they are not.

as for stripes...

I really wanted them but I think I am going to leave them alone too.. Because almost every Stang I see on the street has them and it's getting to the point there they are losing their charm to me .. I want to be different so I am going to put that money someplace else..

But thats just me

In conclusion ...

Is it silly to put stripes on your car? Nope they are there for sole purpose of looking pretty. Is it silly to put a scoop on your hood that does not actually supply air to the engine? Yep sure is ... Is it silly to have a wing on the car? well probably not even the OEM ones probably perhaps make some degree of downward force on the rear of the car... Is it silly to put one of those adjustable huge fast and the furious wings on your car and drive it in the street? Hell ya !

But these are my oppinions .. do whatcha want !

• Sponsors (?)

gp001 said:
Well, you should have said you worked at a 1 hour photo earlier, I would have never doubted your claims. However, since I stayed at a holiday inn, I can tell you that the latch/lock mechanism is perfectly sufficient.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. :rlaugh:

If you like hood pins then get them, but dont say they are for safety, that is totaly ridiculas :stupid:

If you really think the hood is that unsafe, you might want to rethink your purchase. I mean if Ford cant engineer something as simple as a hood latch/lock mechanism just think of how screwed up the rest of the car must be. NOW THAT IS SCARY!!!!!!!!! :banana:

cleveland said:
squat.jpg

-Dan

dont the cables flap around and hit the car when your going fast?

I remember reading about the FR500C cars having the hoods "blow" off, early on. The explanation was underhood pressure during high speed racing had nowhere to escape. Hood pins might not be a bad idea if you ride around with the speedometer pegged all the time.:D

I have a 2005 Saleen S281SC Mustang. It has a Saleen fiberglass hood with the stock Ford latch. At high speeds the hood would begin to flap and in some cases the Ford latch failed. Saleen issued a full recall and replaced the Ford latches with a Saleen latch. If those people had hood pins their hoods would have never flown off. YES, hood pins are functional and YES, the Ford hood latch could fail.

official_style said:
hmm i want the saleen latch! not that i have ever been above 150 :D

I haven't been over 150 m.p.h., either.:D There seems to be some strong feelings over a "mod" that costs around $10 at the local Autozone -- just an observation. Again, I don't drive fast. . . ahem. . . but I may get me some $10 security.:rlaugh:

cleveland said:
Eh, I have never claimed a problem with my hood or really even think that I would have the latch fail. I installed my pins due to Mustang Heritage and its just the start of the external mods for my Mach 1 look.

-Dan
Ahh... goin for the Mach look, Nice!! Are you gonna paint your rear spoiler flat black? Maybe add an aggresive chin spoiler in black as well. What other mods (external) you thinking of?

My Neighbor has 4 hood Pins on his dirt Oval Race car.
But no latch or hinges, and all the Hood stiffening metal works underneath has been removed for wieght reduction.
Take all 4 pins out and the hood lifts right off.

No Kidding.
Just a use for them is all.
I may get them and I just don't care if someone calls them "Rice" or not. I think that GP is just saying not to use the Hood flying up as an Excuse just enjoy them for what they are.

I am seriously thinking of gettin some Tint for my windows, And I don't care what people think, It is just nice to be able to hear the Problems people had with it and make my own decisions about weather I like it or not.
Take what you can from a thread and don't let anything else get to you.

Szlachcic said:
I agree with this to an extent. Technically it is ricey, but I think it does fit the retro theme of the Mustang. I am getting a fiberglass hood though, so I will be needing some to keep it from flying up, lol.

knsbball, you should try finding someone else with hood pins to get a better idea since the angle of the pins in the photoshopped pic is all wrong. They would look like that if you were looking at it from above more, when looking head-on they would look more flush with the car, if that makes any sense.

:lol: I don't get how you can call hood pins rice. I have never seen a ricer with hood pins and hood pins are a part of the mustang heritage.

Why hood pins are considered "rice" is beyond me. Hood pins are primarily a safety device to insure the hood stays where it's suppose to. Kind of like drive shaft loops. Are they "rice" too? Not to mention that just about every high performance Mustang in history has come factory with hood pins. I've got them on mine because I hit the top of the front straight at Hallet at about 115 and the last thing I need to worry about is that flimsy stock hood waggin around like an excited dogs tail. All that said, I have to admit that the pins are a pain in the butt sometimes. I'd suggest that you get the stick on ones, try them out for a while, and then you'll be able to make a more informed decision about whether or not you want to drill holes in your hood.

There's a lot people on here that don't know what the hell they're talking about...AT ALL!

I've got a fiberglass hood and a high quality one at that. At highway speeds the sucker was lifting on the sides near the mid section as much as 1/4". The hood stops were adjusted properly and snug to the hood. You can only adjust them so much before the hood sits too low or high anyway. They are there for aligning the hood height to the fenders. Besides, the hood lifts up and away from the stops anyway. I recently installed a set of Ford Racing hood pins only they are not close to the center of the hood like some of the pics I've looked at on this thread, they are about 5" from the side of the hood where the side stops were. I took a couple of rubber bushings and used them on the stem part of the new kit for getting the proper hood height against the fenders and for keeping tension on the pins. (just enough tension) My hood flapping problem is completely gone now since the hood is being held down on the sides and not just in the middle which allows the sides to lift. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like seeing that much flex in the hood at 70mph. So anybody that thinks it's rice or whatever can stuff it.