Hood scoops and side scoops ????

the scoops are kind of embarising, i mean people look at the ones on the hood and ask if they help performance and your forced to say no, its fake. that kind of hurts. i think if its on there it should be funtional, mustangs shouldnt be all about show, they should be all about the go!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The little chrome horse in the grille doesnt serve any purpose either, so it should be gone too huh :rolleyes:

Man...I would feel so stupid if I had to tell some guy driving a rusted out Toyota pickup that my chrome pony is "fake" since it doesn't add any hp.

Jsmiley said:
I never really like the fake scoop on the 01+ GT's, you might as well tape a brick to the hood and sides of your car. Those scoops would seem to make the car less aerodynamic, the 99-00 Scoops never bothered me, ...

I believe the hood and side scoops changed for the 01+ GT's, because of the great enthusiasm they generated when these scoops first appeared as "special" and "limited" with the spring edition package.

Suddenly, it seemed, that every one wanted the larger scoops, over the original '99 scoops. So, Ford just yielded to the customer demand, and made them standard on all GT's starting in '01.

Scot_94GT said:
The little chrome horse in the grille doesnt serve any purpose either, so it should be gone too huh :rolleyes:

Man...I would feel so stupid if I had to tell some guy driving a rusted out Toyota pickup that my chrome pony is "fake" since it doesn't add any hp.

There is a slight difference. Everyone knows that the *purpose* of the pony in the grille is to be an ornament. It's also subtle enough that it doesn't look stupid.

The little chrome horse in the grille doesnt serve any purpose either, so it should be gone too huh

yeah but the horse is an emblem, name one great car without one, but you cant. even camaros had emblems, with no need for side or hood scoops(unless funtional). by the way i pretty much hate all camaros im just using it as an example. i really dont like these side scoops, maybe ford should offer them as an option instead of just throwing them on there. my GT is now side scoopless and i love it, the sides look so clean cut and great, now about that embarrising hood scoop......

I like the scoops on the 01+ stangs. It's one of the reasons when i was car shopping i would not go any older than '01.

To me, looking at the 99-00 stangs is just not that exciting. They seem plain without the scoops and with the clear headlights.

personally i'd have to say no non-functional scoops. unfortunately i also prefer the 2005 without a rear spoiler but that delete option is unavailable in canada. :( if i was to add non functional scoops i would want to make sure i enhanced the hp (via supercharger etc) so i could talk the talk and walk the walk. :lol: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. add scoops and louvres or remove badges and shave handles, as long as its a STANG. :banana:

you r right dude!!!

SVTdriver said:
It could be said that people did not want fake scoops. Since the new mustang is without them

The 95 cobra has real side air intakes. I always thought it was cheezy that ford put those silly fake plastic scoops and side intakes. Do it right like the 95 or don't do it at all

2005muzzy said:
The 95 cobra has real side air intakes. I always thought it was cheezy that ford put those silly fake plastic scoops and side intakes. Do it right like the 95 or don't do it at all

All the 94 and 95 Mustangs had real functional side scoops. It was nice that the SN95 design at least started out right.

2005muzzy said:

Yes the 94-95 mustangs had "real" side scoops. However the last few that I looked at. It looked like some of the plastic on the wheelwell side needed to be removed. To make it truly finctional. And you could ask the question. How much real function did those vents have? They were pointed straight at the rear tires. And most tires work better when warm. Rear brake cooling would be relatively little. And why only cool the rear brakes?

SVTdriver said:
Yes the 94-95 mustangs had "real" side scoops. However the last few that I looked at. It looked like some of the plastic on the wheelwell side needed to be removed. To make it truly finctional. And you could ask the question. How much real function did those vents have? They were pointed straight at the rear tires. And most tires work better when warm. Rear brake cooling would be relatively little. And why only cool the rear brakes?

I agree. I had a 95 and always wondered why they would cool the rear tires? You need them warmer, not cooloer, for better traction. And, if I were to vent any of my brakes, it would be the fronts where most of the work is being done. Albeit, I do like the aggressive look that scoops add, functional or not; when not over done! I think the 05 needs some subtle touches in this department, but I'll worry about that later...

SVTdriver said:
How much real function did those vents have?

Being functional and being effective are indeed two very different things.

Though, effectiveness is something which could be argued about just any factory scoop even if functional. I mean, just how effective is the functional shaker scoop on the 03/04 Mach 1's? Its opening is right at one of the worse possible places for attempting to suck up air (the dead center of the hood is a very low pressure area).

A functional and effective hood scoop needs to be either (1) at the front most edge like the concept Mustang and late model Firebirds, (2) at windshield edge facing rearward like some Cobras, or (3) raised up high like on dragsters.

WaltA said:
Being functional and being effective are indeed two very different things.

Though, effectiveness is something which could be argued about just any factory scoop even if functional. I mean, just how effective is the functional shaker scoop on the 03/04 Mach 1's? Its opening is right at one of the worse possible places for attempting to suck up air (the dead center of the hood is a very low pressure area).

A functional and effective hood scoop needs to be either (1) at the front most edge like the concept Mustang and late model Firebirds, (2) at windshield edge facing rearward like some Cobras, or (3) raised up high like on dragsters.

I agree. I don't think the Mach 1 or many of the aftermarket hoods are as effective as they claim. Some of the hoods I have seen for the stang. Claim to be ram air. But then they bend the flow of air back 180 degrees to get it to the air filter. How much Ram Air are you really creating?