HoooooooWeeeeee..the Merc...it's fixed

montegoman351

Jan 12, 2007
Well, for those who read my last post about my car leaning out and popping in the intake, and acting a fool.:bang:

Well, the other day, my A9P computer took a S#!T, leaving me stranded, so I was sooooo pissed off.:mad: Luckily a "officer in training" stopped and lent me his cell phone, and of course, it was near work, so all my co-workers were cool and they stopped to check things out. The fuel pump would not come on. Called home and got the A9L computer and chip brought to me, swapped it and the pump came on for 2 seconds and I started it up. Drove it home and was all good, but still had the leaning out and popping.:bang:

Well I put a new Wide Ratio AOD in it, headers, Spintechs, 2 1/2" exhaust, on my '73 Montego w/2bbl 351 Cleveland with all Mustang EFI. Engine has 11K on it, rebuilt it last year after a piece of cam bearing babbit made it past the pump screen, and locked up the pump. Luckily it snapped 3 teeth off the dits killing the engine, instead of snapping the pump drive shaft. So, it got everything, all the goodies; cam, pistons, studded mains and heads, new valves, guides, roller rockers, and so on.

I had it all back together, and if I'd get on it, it would lean out at higher RPMs, making passing gear a no go, and even 3rd gear kickdown at 65 useless with the major embarassment of backfiring. And off idle was useless with out feathering, because it would backfire.:nonono:

Well, it was time for the 500 mile transmission fluid change, so I got 2 new filters (pre-pump and post-pump), 30lb/hr injectors, MAF sample tube for the C&L to match. Soooo, I gave it a shot, new injectors in, as with the filters, fresh fluid and such. Started it up on the stands, and it started the first time, topped off the fluid, and went for a drive. 35mph passing gear...NO popping, 45 passing gear...NO popping, from a dead stop...jab the gas and go, no feathering required.:hail2:

Needless to say, I'm incredibly happy, I just figured I'd let everybody know. Sorry for the long post, but I'm too happy to care. This is probably not "tech" material, but if someone has the same problem, this might help.

• Sponsors (?)