Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

So I started the car yesterday afternoon and the return hose was leaking out the top of the hose. So, I added another clamp. I was later told to rotate it 180° and will do so eventually.
ps1.jpg

I still left the towel under it as an experiment to see if it was still leaking and low and behold, this morning there were drips on the towel. I took a picture from the underside:

ps2.jpg

Im at a loss other than replacing the pump. it appears to be leaking from the largest of the hex nuts where it meets the body of the pump. The exposed O-ring is still dry.

It's going to have to stay like this for a while. My wife's 2014 explorer needs a water pump. For those of you who dont know, the water pump is inside the motor and run off the timing chain. Dealership wanted 3-5k to replace and I said no thanks, Ill figure it out myself. So, that's going to be my next mountain to climb...
This guy I found on the you tube recently did a teardown of a bad 3.5 ecoboost. I'm assuming the architecture is similar to that of your Explorer. It's crazy how much work it is to get to the pump in addition to how horrible it can get if it starts to leak.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3cjU3o0G4

• Sponsors (?)

This guy I found on the you tube recently did a teardown of a bad 3.5 ecoboost. I'm assuming the architecture is similar to that of your Explorer. It's crazy how much work it is to get to the pump in addition to how horrible it can get if it starts to leak.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3cjU3o0G4

It's similar but the F150 and Mustang are RWD so with the motor mounted the "correct" way, Ford was able to fit a traditional external water pump. So when they fail, they just leak outside the engine. When ford mounted the engine transversely for the FWD/AWD platforms, they had to flip the water pump internally for clearance issues.

But the teardown and the chains are essentially the same.

Mine is with Grundy, $231/year for $15k agreed value, must be garaged, cannot be my primary car or daily. Years ago it was with a different company that no longer does classics and it was 5k miles per year but they never ever checked and I don't see where I'm limited on my Grundy. Call Jason Olson at The Phoenix Insurance company 214-253-0570 and tell him Nick Anselmo sent you and you want to get a quote for your car. He can shop different deals for you and should be able to get you what you want. I've been using them to find my insurance deals for over a decade.
Good deal. Do you pay the whole year up front or is it broken out by quarter/month/etc

I think they are all like that. Haggerty requires everything paid at once in September.

I think the restrictions for me are 2K miles max, garaged, have another DD, and only for "pleasure use". I once questioned the last part and it was explained to me that they would deny coverage if i was using the vehicle for things I could do with my regular car, like stop at Home Depot to pick up something.

I only asked because I regularly see guys on Bookface posting how they have Haggerty and use the car for everything (drive to work, school, errands, etc). However, when i specifically asked about this, they told me that this is not true and there are restrictions on how you use the car. I didn't get it in writing however, which makes me wonder if i'll get the same story if i spoke to someone else.

I do like the Monthly magazine they send out.

I think they are all like that. Haggerty requires everything paid at once in September.

I think the restrictions for me are 2K miles max, garaged, have another DD, and only for "pleasure use". I once questioned the last part and it was explained to me that they would deny coverage if i was using the vehicle for things I could do with my regular car, like stop at Home Depot to pick up something.

I only asked because I regularly see guys on Bookface posting how they have Haggerty and use the car for everything (drive to work, school, errands, etc). However, when i specifically asked about this, they told me that this is not true and there are restrictions on how you use the car. I didn't get it in writing however, which makes me wonder if i'll get the same story if i spoke to someone else.

I do like the Monthly magazine they send out.
Are you in the $2-300 range per year as well? The people who carry my home insurance are working up a quote for me right now so I'm curious to see where they come back at

Are you in the $2-300 range per year as well? The people who carry my home insurance are working up a quote for me right now so I'm curious to see where they come back at

Nope. I'm around $500/year and that's probably going up as i really need to adjust my value after the recent work. I'm probably going to request $20-25K value. I think i'm at $15K now.

Grundy appears to not have a mileage restriction. I should get a quote from them and see what they cost. Might be time to move. One thing Haggety has is called "Cherished vehicle". That means if the vehicle is totalled, you get to keep the vehicle plus get your full agreed value. I would imagine this adds to the premium.

EDIT: Their online quick quote gave me $223 for $25K value. Would need to do a full application to see if that holds, but I should follow through with this

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nope. I'm around $500/year and that's probably going up as i really need to adjust my value after the recent work. I'm probably going to request $20-25K value. I think i'm at $15K now.

Grundy appears to not have a mileage restriction. I should get a quote from them and see what they cost. Might be time to move. One thing Haggety has is called "Cherished vehicle". That means if the vehicle is totalled, you get to keep the vehicle plus get your full agreed value. I would imagine this adds to the premium.

EDIT: Their online quick quote gave me $223 for $25K value. Would need to do a full application to see if that holds, but I should follow through with this
I too will have to adjust my value once I get the car back, but my agent said just leave it as is for now with no changes while it's at K&K and we will deal with it later.

I have Hagerty Ins on the Racecar. Have coverage for $55K. But it only sees 50 miles a year tops. 1/8 mile at a time...Lol.
Cost is like $300 per year.
I told them up front it was a race car, sent pics and everything. They had no issue with insuring it.

$55K would not even cover half of what I have in the car.

I have Hagerty Ins on the Racecar. Have coverage for $55K. But it only sees 50 miles a year tops. 1/8 mile at a time...Lol.
Cost is like $300 per year.
I told them up front it was a race car, sent pics and everything. They had no issue with insuring it.

$55K would not even cover half of what I have in the car.
So I want to warn you, as someone who has personal experience totaling a fox at a drag strip (not my fault, a-hole put me in the wall on purpose for beating him then left and there was video evidence), make DARN sure your policy doesn't prohibit closed course racing, exhibition, or anything else like that. My policy did prohibit it, but because of the circumstances it was covered as a hit and run, but I was promptly dropped from the policy afterwards. That was 1999. so it could be different now, but I highly recommend you look it over again. Also my current policy with Grundy prohibits that as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
My home insurance provider shopped for me and came back with Safeco at $208/yr with the same coverage as Grundy.
I had Safeco for a few years, for home and auto... easy to deal with, really liked them, but then Kemper came in way cheaper for more coverage and that's where I've been for years... but it switches this month to Farmers as it's even cheaper and better. Shop it every time it's up for renewal, or like me have someone do it for you.

Ever since the show last weekend, my interest in really cleaning up my car to make it go from nice to next level has been piqued. I have always wanted a set of BC Forged wheels but lately it's getting bad. Fortunately, the price tag will keep me from making any rash decisions.

I can't decide between all bronze or a two tone, but polished instead of brushed as pictured here:
Also - the lower photo is a matte bronze. I truly can't make up my mind and will continue to obsess.

BC1.jpg
BC2.jpg

It's similar but the F150 and Mustang are RWD so with the motor mounted the "correct" way, Ford was able to fit a traditional external water pump. So when they fail, they just leak outside the engine. When ford mounted the engine transversely for the FWD/AWD platforms, they had to flip the water pump internally for clearance issues.

But the teardown and the chains are essentially the same.
He actually did do another tear down on a FWD version.

We’re so spoiled with our 302/351 water pumps. This makes me want to avoid owning anything new.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWGWFgClPnQ